Dell R710, Dell Perc H200 and HDD help (warning NOOB alert)

bushbasha

Cadet
Hi Gang,
i have to warn you, this stuff is foreign to me, so if your willing to help, please spell it out very simply, lol. with help ive installed proxmox onto my newly acquired R710, i have then created a VM for truenas, however having issues with the HDDs. i had a H700 card in it, removed that and purchased a H200 and flashed to it mode. (SAS9211-8i) (20.00.07.00). i tried adding pci device and the VM fails to start and i lose all HDDs from proxmox (reboot solves that), found some videos where they add them through shell commands via proxmox for example one of mine is qm set 100 -scsi4 /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-350014ee355666a08. these work but my truenas has no data for the drives, it tells me they have non unique serial numbers. which the 50014ee355666a08 is my serial number.

my question is this the correct way to add them, can i add the lot via the H200 card, or have i done the right thing, i just need to figure out which is which and edit the details?

any assistance is appreciated, but please give me a guide for dummies, even a video link somewhere, lol.

thanks

Attachments

• prox vm.PNG
    prox vm.PNG
    39.5 KB · Views: 122
  • truenas snap.PNG
    truenas snap.PNG
    43.7 KB · Views: 135

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
my question is this the correct way to add them
No it is most certainly not.

It sounds like you tried the right way, but didn't grasp one important point... when you pass through a PCI HBA, the entire card and all disks attached to it also go into the VM... means you can't have the OS (Proxmox in your case) relying on any of the disks attached to that HBA, you need to service the OS from disks either attached to the motherboard SATA ports or otherwise (perhaps via USB to SATA adapter or something).

bushbasha

Cadet
No it is most certainly not.

It sounds like you tried the right way, but didn't grasp one important point... when you pass through a PCI HBA, the entire card and all disks attached to it also go into the VM... means you can't have the OS (Proxmox in your case) relying on any of the disks attached to that HBA, you need to service the OS from disks either attached to the motherboard SATA ports or otherwise (perhaps via USB to SATA adapter or something).
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't think it was the correct way, seemed a bit strange. It obviously works but at what cost.

That makes sense on why when trying to attach the pci card that they drop out of proxmox. Once truenas takes control of the drives (when I eventually figure it out) proxmox won't be able to access them anyway will it?
At the end of the day I don't think proxmox needs to have access (could be wrong) , I have the OS on a separate SSD boot drive. When I eventually sort it out I'll have a couple vms in proxmox but I think will will just rely on the boot.

How can I separate the hhds from proxmox to be able to just attach the pci card?

sretalla