Truenas core shared storage setup for proxmox question

juju

Cadet
Hello - I am looking to setup shared storage on a truenas system ( yet to be installed ) for proxmox. Getting myself confused with the setup.

First of all, both my truenas and proxmox node are on the same server - dell r740xd. Proxmox is installed on a pair of SSDs on a dell boss card in raid1. I am planning to install truenas bare metal on another pair of sas drives on the same server. ( So not virtualizing it in proxmox ). I have a pair of 2TB NVMe drives I am planning to use for VM storage. I temporarily set that up directly in proxmox as a local zfs array.

However, I am planning to setup other proxmox nodes and now want to recommission the NVMe pair as a shared storage for all the proxmox nodes. I am not sure about how the setup with the proxmox node on the same server will work if the 2 nvme drives now move into a truenas mirrored vdev. What is the setup here? Its not NFS / iSCSI because it's sort of local for the proxmox node on the same server.

My first post!

juju

Cadet
It sounds like you expect to run both Proxmox and TrueNAS at the same time on this machine. How do you expect to do that?

The truenas install will be on a different set of drives. Is that an issue? New to this so learning. How is this different from running it as a VM in proxmox on the same machine?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How is this different from running it as a VM in proxmox on the same machine?
The difference is that only one operating system can control the hardware at once, unless you start virtualizing - and even then, someone has to be in charge.
Is that an issue?
Yes, because the PC architecture (as most architectures) is fundamentally designed to have one OS in charge of everything.