SOLVED Power Supply Recommendation

NamoMitK

Dabbler
Looking for suggestions for a PSU for this build. I'm thinking 650W should be plenty. This build will not be expanded any further, so power requirements won't change.

Would like to have 10x Sata power from the PSU and this is limiting my choices. Is the Seasonic X-650 still a solid choice? Power supply technology hasn't changed all that much. I don't really have a $ limit as I believe in buying the best PSU for the job. I'm happy to use adapters or convert molex to sata (lose all your data) if I can trust the adapters and PSU to handle it.

Best case scenario, I'd like 2x(4xSata) runs from the PSU to the HDD cages in the case. Additionally, 1x(2xSata) run to the front cover of the case for the 2.5" SSDs.

Newegg Sorted By 650 and 10xSata
Seasonic x-650

CPU: Intel Xeon E-2176G
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12
Motherboard: Asrock E3C246D4U
Memory: 4x16GB ECC UDIMM
Raid-Z2 Storage: 8x 10TB WD Red
Iocage Storage: 2x 500GB SSD Mirror
Boot: 2x USB Mirror
M.2: 512GB 970 Pro (Probably Plex transcode or some other use)
AOC x4: 10GB Ethernet Card
AOC x8: Some HBA likely 8i or 4i4e (8x Reds on this or the 2x SATA as Mobo has 8x Sata)
AOC x8: Will be unpopulated to begin with. Would pop a Quadro P2000 (75W) in here if I decide to virtualize or in the unlikely event GPU enc/decoding becomes available.
Case:Fractal Design Node 804
Case Fan: 5x Noctua NF-S12A & 1x NF-A14
Power Supply: Seasonic Prime Ultra 750 Titanium

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Would pop a Quadro P2000 (75W) in here if I decide to virtualize or in the unlikely event GPU enc/decoding becomes available.
I'm thinking 650W should be plenty.
Accounting for the possible addition of the video card, I would suggest going to a 750, just to be on the safe side and to prevent the need to replace it later.

NamoMitK

Dabbler
Accounting for the possible addition of the video card, I would suggest going to a 750, just to be on the safe side and to prevent the need to replace it later.

Going with 750W opens up my PSU options considerably. I'm by no means trying to min/max PSU usage, but I do want to make an honest effort to size appropriately. As long as I can stay within the efficiency curve of a 750w with/without the GPU then I'm happy. The only reason I was driven to post was the lack of options with 10x Sata power. Perhaps that should've been my clue. Doing my best calculations I keep coming out around 500W peak usage (this will rarely ever happen) and probably around 170w idle.

As a frequent lurker and occasional poster I've come to respect your no nonsense approach to advice. Thanks for not pointing out the futility of the graphics card idea. :cool:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
As a frequent lurker and occasional poster I've come to respect your no nonsense approach to advice. Thanks for not pointing out the futility of the graphics card idea.
Post more. It is good for everyone.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Going with 750W opens up my PSU options considerably. I'm by no means trying to min/max PSU usage, but I do want to make an honest effort to size appropriately. As long as I can stay within the efficiency curve of a 750w with/without the GPU then I'm happy. The only reason I was driven to post was the lack of options with 10x Sata power. Perhaps that should've been my clue. Doing my best calculations I keep coming out around 500W peak usage (this will rarely ever happen) and probably around 170w idle.

As a frequent lurker and occasional poster I've come to respect your no nonsense approach to advice. Thanks for not pointing out the futility of the graphics card idea. :cool:

What do you come up with if you run your requirements through my guidance sticky?

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/proper-power-supply-sizing-guidance.38811/

NamoMitK

Dabbler