Failure to power up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallybanger

Contributor
Ugghh, so after hours of computer building my box won't power up for the smoke test.

When I turn the PS switch on a green LED lights up on the motherboard. When I push the power button on the case the cpu fan BARELY moves (maybe 1/8 of a rotation) and then the green power LED on the board starts flashing.

There is nothing in the manual explaining what's going on.

Build:
Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5
2X Kingston ValueRAM 16GBDDR4 2133 Server Memory ECC DIMM (288-Pin) KVR21E15D8/16
SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
8X Seagate 4TB NAS drives

I used an anti static mat and wrist band while building. I can't see any shorts or problems.

Any ideas?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
To test power supply you need to unplug everything but leave a fan hooked up to a molex plug. Then jump the power supply and see if the fan turns on. If that doesn't work it's probably the PSU. If that does with its probably your motherboard. Try resetting the CMOS, resetting the memory and double check your CPU.

maglin

Patron
Pull all the RAM out and put a single stick back in. Make sure it's fully seated. I've seen this multiple times and if it wasn't the ram it was the PSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CraigD

Patron
I would pull everything out of the case double check the CPU seating and look for damage on the motherboard CPU socket

At a static free workstation connect:

PSU, Motherboard, cpu+fan, one RAM stick, and a known good video card

Work from this start point, swapping out one part at a time

Once you can POST add more RAM, boot drive(s) and HBAs if all is well put it back in the case (At this point it stops working something is shorting on the case)

Good luck
PS It is rarely the CPU and most likely be the RAM or Motherboard

Wallybanger

Contributor
Looks like the PSU is DOA. Oh well, at least it isn't something more serious. Guess I could have tested that out without bothering you but I was frustrated. Thanks for the replies guys.

Wallybanger

Contributor
Ordered an EVGA 650 G2 fully modular power supply. Looks like it's approved by JonnyGURU... who ever that is. The review seems thorough.

Status
Not open for further replies.