SOLVED Unable to boot with any hard drives receiving power

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGenerateKane

Explorer
I've read several threads with people recommending the Seasonic G series, so of course I got one. And it wouldn't power on. Got a replacement. Won't power on. Further testing found that it can power on, so long as no hard drives are plugged in at all. None. It's 550w, so power should not be a problem. While waiting for a replacement, I plugged in a Thermaltake SMART Series SP-750M 750W ATX 12V V2.3 & EPS 12V SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply and it booted just fine with all four drives. Now, I admit I have no knowledge of wattage requirements, but I at one point had a computer with a 10 year old 550w PSU running twelve hard drives, two optical drives and a low profile video card. So I don't understand why this one can't power on with even one hard drive.

Here is my setup for reference:
SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O uATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C222 DDR3 1600
Intel Core i3-4150 Haswell Dual-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 54W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4400 BX80646I34150
Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ECC Unbuffered Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B
SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready
NZXT Source 210 Elite Black Steel with painted interior ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Norco 5.25" to 3.5" HDD Cage (Not plugged in as the HDD's for it aren't going in for some time)
4x WD Red WD60EFRX 6TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" NAS Hard Drive Bare Drive

Edit: Of course I solved it after posting, the sata power cables I tried were bad. Finally found one that worked. :/

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, I'd have a hard time believing that a Seasonic and its replacement would both be bad. Can you explain what cables you were using and why?

DGenerateKane

Explorer
I was using cables from the 750w power supply, which worked just fine with it. Just wouldn't work with the Seasonic. I assumed modular cables were universal. Are they not?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I was using cables from the 750w power supply, which worked just fine with it. Just wouldn't work with the Seasonic. I assumed modular cables were universal. Are they not?

No, never assume that. Within the same family, they may be (G-450 and G-550, for instance). Between completely different PSUs, don't even think about it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
OMFG. There's a good chance you've ruined one or more pieces of hardware by mixing cables. They are not universal, even across the same brand and product line.

DGenerateKane

Explorer
Sure wish they didn't have identical connectors. Or were labeled, considering they are all identical. Now I'm going to have to get more as the cables provided are woefully inadequate for my build once I get all the drives I want. And make sure not to mix up any as I have 3 modular PSU's in the house with more expected.

mjws00

Guru
With a little digging you might discover that seasonic is actually the oem supplier for thermaltake. They build for many. Also remember that while there are no set standards and you can blow stuff up, the factory is going to reuse sku's and parts everywhere they can. They likely source cables from the same catalog and supplier. It is a big incestuous game. ;)

It should be a pretty simple matter to validate a cable and pinout if you are reasonably competent with a meter, or just a cheap psu tester from the local computer shop. Swapping random cables is lunacy, but you are allowed to be smart. It's just WIRE.

Status
Not open for further replies.