BUILD Rackmount Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

starryganesh

Cadet
Hey everyone, I'm going to be building my first dedicated NAS box soon. I'd like to hear your input on my build:

CPU/GPU: AMD A10-5700 Trinity @ 3.4ghz 65W
Mobo: MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 FM2 AMD A85X
RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
HDDs: 3x HGST Deskstar 4TB Serial ATA/600 64MB Buffer 7200RPM
PSU: SILVERSTONE ST55F-G 550W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular
CASE: NORCO RPC-2008 2U Rackmount Server Case (and the rails to mount it!)

I intentionally overshot some areas because eventually I'd like to fill all 8 of those HDD bays on the case which would leave me with a ~28TB array. Also, I am going to need to transcode at least one 1080p video, sometimes two simultaneously depending on who is watching what throughout the house which is why I opted for a faster processor.

Open to any and all input, thanks.

gpsguy

Before you buy your HDD's, reread the stickies at the top of this forum, the manual, and cyberjock's slideshow.

At the end of the day, once you create a 3 drive vdev, you won't be able to add to the same vdev later.

starryganesh

Cadet
Thanks for that info, I didn't realize that. I've changed my build to 4x3TB initially with plans to add another 4x3TB or 4x4TB in the future. Does everything else seem fine?

JaimieV

Guru
Yep. Your PSU is overpowered in wattage, you could easily use a competent 300W even with 8 HDDs. Also check it has enough HDD power leads.

/Edit - nearby useful thread! http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?11358-Power-Supply-with-not-enough-power-connectors

(If you're going to regularly need to transcode, why not go through the movie files re-encoding them to something appropriate for the clients? You'll get better quality with a two-pass process than on-the-fly, too)

starryganesh

Cadet
Yes, I already had the SATA issue sorted out, forgot to mention that. I dropped to a 450W PSU but that's the lowest wattage I can find with a modular design which I really would like to use.

JaimieV

Guru
I found the same last time I did a PC build - couldn't get the PSU features I wanted (which including modular cables) without overspeccing its power by 100% (and overspending by 50% or so, I reckon). Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.