BUILD Tiny 6 HDD build sanity check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

netheranthem

Cadet
Hello! It's my first time building a NAS, and as I have 6x1TB drives scattered around, I thought I should start putting my data in a redundant configuration, in order to avoid downloading my offsite backups if anything should happen.

My criteria for this build are:

- Supports 6 drives.
- Relatively cheap (under $800) with parts accessible in Switzerland
- Some headroom for upgrades, so I can add RAM and a SAS controller later, with a bigger case.
- AES support.
- Silent enough to be left in the living room.

The parts I selected, according to the guides on the forum, are:

- Mobo/CPU: Supermicro A1SAi-2550F
- Memory: 2x Kingston SO-DDR3L 8GB 1600MHz ECC
- PSU: Seasonic G-360
- UPS: Eaton USV Ellipse ECO 650 USB IEC
- Case: BitFenix Phenom Mini-ITX schwarz
- Fans: 2x120mm intake (supplied) + 1x140mm exhaust Noctua NF-A14 ULN
- Misc: Molex to 2xSATA power adapter, Kingston DataTraveler Micro 8GB

Total: About $800, bought in Switzerland - which doesn't seem to far from what you guys pay in the US.

That's it! I'm hoping that I didn't miss anything... which is why I'd be grateful if you could confirm that this build is okay :) I'm also not 100% sure about how quiet this build would be, if you do have some suggestions for some adequate quiet 120mm fans for the HDDs I might replace those that come standard with the case if they don't perform well.

Fuganater

Patron
Get different RAM. Kingston is not recommended and there are a few threads out there why not to use it.

What will you use for a boot device? I suggest getting 2x 16GB Scandisk fits which are pretty cheap and reliable.

PSU seems a bit small to me but I've never built a system this small before. Just read the PSU sizing sticky and if it what you need, great.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Looks good for your planed use of 6 - 1TB drives.
If in the future you should need more space
and larger drives would be used in this box,
your power supply might be stressed trying
to spin up 6 drives of 2TB or larger.

Z300M

Guru
Hello! It's my first time building a NAS, and as I have 6x1TB drives scattered around, I thought I should start putting my data in a redundant configuration, in order to avoid downloading my offsite backups if anything should happen.

My criteria for this build are:

- Supports 6 drives.
- Relatively cheap (under $800) with parts accessible in Switzerland
- Some headroom for upgrades, so I can add RAM and a SAS controller later, with a bigger case.
- AES support.
- Silent enough to be left in the living room.

The parts I selected, according to the guides on the forum, are:

- Mobo/CPU: Supermicro A1SAi-2550F
- Memory: 2x Kingston SO-DDR3L 8GB 1600MHz ECC
- PSU: Seasonic G-360
- UPS: Eaton USV Ellipse ECO 650 USB IEC
- Case: BitFenix Phenom Mini-ITX schwarz
- Fans: 2x120mm intake (supplied) + 1x140mm exhaust Noctua NF-A14 ULN
- Misc: Molex to 2xSATA power adapter, Kingston DataTraveler Micro 8GB

Total: About $800, bought in Switzerland - which doesn't seem to far from what you guys pay in the US.

That's it! I'm hoping that I didn't miss anything... which is why I'd be grateful if you could confirm that this build is okay :) I'm also not 100% sure about how quiet this build would be, if you do have some suggestions for some adequate quiet 120mm fans for the HDDs I might replace those that come standard with the case if they don't perform well.
Much better than getting Kingston RAM (see my sig.) would be getting something that's on Supermicro's list -- probably Samsung, Hynix, or maybe Micron.
I've never used Kingston USB thumb drives, but my SanDisks are fine.
I'd get a larger PSU to be prepared for future expansion.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
would be getting something that's on Supermicro's list -- probably Samsung, Hynix, or maybe Micron.
You know, I never looked at that RAM but you guys are right, not on the list for that board. I looked around a bit and found this on ebay.com.au
Samsung M474B1G73QH0-YK0 8GB
It turns out the jokes on me, the seller is in the USA! Oh well, saving money is always nice.

netheranthem

Cadet
Thanks for the advice! I will be upgrading the Power Supply to 450W and getting a pair of Samsung ECC RAM sticks - the shipping isn't too expensive for those to be imported :)

Status
Not open for further replies.