BUILD 6 x 4TB build + is using four unbuffered ECC modules a bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotu

Cadet
Hi all,

I am new to this site and close to getting a FreeNAS config with 6 x 4TB in RAID-Z2. This should be the central storage for my music collection, images, videos and the like. I also want to use Plex and soon I will be building a separate HTPC. The hardware I picked out for the server is as follows:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3
MB: Supermicro X10SL7-F
RAM: 4 x Kingston ValueRAM 8GB, DDR3-1600, CL11, ECC (KVR16E11/8)
HDD: 7 x HGST Deskstar 7K4000 4TB, SATA 6Gb/s (HDS724040ALE640) => one as cold spare
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W
Chassis: An Intel SC5299UP + hot swap drive bay for 6 drives my brother still has lying around at work.
USV: Eaton Ellipse ECO 650 DIN USB

Seems pretty decent to me. Any objections or am I good to order?

Second question:
According to this link, using more than two unbuffered DIMMs, even with ECC, is a bad idea as it puts more stress on the memory controller. Ok, the latter part makes sense, but shouldn't the config run without trouble with 32GB RAM? I do not want to be limited to 16GB or two modules, respectively.

Thanks a lot!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes. It technically stresses your memory controller, just like driving 75 on the freeway stresses your car more than doing 15. Your car(and your computer) should be capable of handling it without a problem. If its not, then you shouldn't be buying it(and companies shouldn't be selling it). Supermicro definitely works just fine for you and will give you years of smiles.

I wouldn't have gone with 7200RPM drives unless you need that extra IOPS. The extra heat is often difficult to remove and also means higher power usage. For home use, I never recommend 7200RPM drives. You'll fight to keep those drives cool, almost to the exclusion of everything else unless you put it in a very cold basement.

Z300M

Guru
Hi all,

I am new to this site and close to getting a FreeNAS config with 6 x 4TB in RAID-Z2. This should be the central storage for my music collection, images, videos and the like. I also want to use Plex and soon I will be building a separate HTPC. The hardware I picked out for the server is as follows:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3
MB: Supermicro X10SL7-F
RAM: 4 x Kingston ValueRAM 8GB, DDR3-1600, CL11, ECC (KVR16E11/8)
HDD: 7 x HGST Deskstar 7K4000 4TB, SATA 6Gb/s (HDS724040ALE640) => one as cold spare
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W
Chassis: An Intel SC5299UP + hot swap drive bay for 6 drives my brother still has lying around at work.
USV: Eaton Ellipse ECO 650 DIN USB

Seems pretty decent to me. Any objections or am I good to order?

Second question:
According to this link, using more than two unbuffered DIMMs, even with ECC, is a bad idea as it puts more stress on the memory controller. Ok, the latter part makes sense, but shouldn't the config run without trouble with 32GB RAM? I do not want to be limited to 16GB or two modules, respectively.

Thanks a lot!
The last time I checked, the Kingston "Server Premium" RAM is only a very little more expensive than the one you've chosen:

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=7&Mfr=SMI&Line=X10SL7-F&Model=84337

indy

Patron
I ordered the Server Premier one because it was cheaper than the regular (and actually available).
Only difference should be that you get Bom with the Ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.