Plex Jail renders Mumble Jail unreachable

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-NAS

Dabbler
Just looked through the debug. Wasn't around due to the holidays.

I would have tried a system reboot. Your uptime was 74 days and it's possible something wonky happened and a reboot would have cleared it.

Other than that, there was nothing that appeared "out of place" from the debug. Some stuff that was innocuous like Samba denying access due to invalid usernames or passwords, but nothing that would point to anything with the networking being broken.

You are using 9.2.1.8, and that version is nearly ancient by FreeNAS standards. I'd definitely upgrade to 9.3.1. Some things were changed/added/fixed with the jails, and it's very possible that upgrading would have fixed the issue.

Thanks cyberjock. I'm usually quite hesitant to monkey with things I don't understand--and nowadays it takes a lot of reading for me to understand anything. ;) I don't like to do anything that can result in surprises. It took me long enough to get the stable 9.2.1.8 up and running properly. I swore I'd leave it; set it and forget it.

But no, the allure of Plex had me risk an additional jail. Interesting that a reboot might have solved the issue. I have this fear of shutting it down, and it never coming up again. And I wouldn't have a clue as to how to bring it back...

I'm trying to round up 6 old disks so I can make a test box with 9.3.1 and get a better feel for FreeNAS in general. Practice a resilvering. Monkey with jails and try to break it, then fix it. I think only then would I feel confident to upgrade the main rig.

Time. I need more of it. :)

J-NAS

Dabbler
@cyberjock Did you see anything in my log relating to the fans racing? It seems to start the minute I wake my main computer. As if the instant that FreeNAS is polled it kicks it in to high gear.

Or should I open a new thread about that issue? What about my idea of swapping my FreeNAS USB sticks for one before I began the Plex Jail experiment? Any risk in that?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I saw nothing for your fans. Your two best bets to look at are IPMI logs and BIOS logs. One of those might show something like "CPU temp overtemp uncorrectable" or something that might tell you that the system thought something was *really* hot.

J-NAS

Dabbler
I saw nothing for your fans. Your two best bets to look at are IPMI logs and BIOS logs. One of those might show something like "CPU temp overtemp uncorrectable" or something that might tell you that the system thought something was *really* hot.

Thanks for the reminder about IPMI logs. My mind is mush after having kids! Checking the logs it seems Lower Critical for FAN4 was being tripped. Why that would happen only after having installed a Plex jail I do not know.

I guess I'll chalk it up to co-incidence as that doesn't seem to make sense.

Once I lowered FAN4, then FAN3 started to trip. OK. Lowered FAN3. FANs now ran at full speed. Reset IPMI from within the interface. Fans now settled down but were tripping again.

I had to lower them to 200 300 400, as it seems now both FAN3 and FAN4 like to idle at 500rpm.

Why on earth would this have changed behaviour? They ran for nearly a year at 400, 600, 800 without triggering...

For anyone following this, here is what we're talking about.

edit: perhaps because they're run by PWM, and now that it's winter the ambient temperature is lower, so they are being asked to idle lower than before? At least that makes sense, and somewhat coincides with my installation of Plex...

Status
Not open for further replies.