Plex Jail renders Mumble Jail unreachable

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-NAS

Dabbler
So I've been running a Mumble Jail successfully for about a year now. Installed Plex via the plugin page, set it up according to the video on freenas.org, and was off at the races.

But it seems with my Plex jail running, my Mumble Jail no longer functions. Is this expected behaviour?

I don't have the foggiest clue how to begin trouble-shooting this. The Mumble Jail is type standard on 192.168.1.25, while Plex is type pluginjail on 192.168.1.26.

Stopping Plex, stopping Mumble and then restarting Mumble results in Mumble running fine. But about 1 minute after re-starting the Plex Jail, then my Mumble server goes offline.

Don't know how to google for help on this one. Anyone have the time to help? Thanks!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Where is your mumble server stored on your pool? And where is your Plex jail stored?

J-NAS

Dabbler
Where is your mumble server stored on your pool? And where is your Plex jail stored?
I have a volume /mnt/share/jails in which they both reside. Is that what you're asking? I'm afraid I'm pretty green...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Do you really share out the root dataset? You should change that because you are probably messing up permissions I in your jails.

J-NAS

Dabbler
Don't like the sound of that...would probably explain what I'm seeing. I only have the one dataset zpool, split into many datasets.

Last edited:

J-NAS

Dabbler
Is there an up to date (actually 9.2.1.8) newbie friendly document that explains how what I've done is less than ideal?

Are you saying instead of

/mnt/share/video
/mnt/share/audio
/mnt/share/jails/murmurjail
/mnt/share/jails/plexjail

I should have set it up as

/mnt/video
/mnt/audio

and then

/mnt/jails/murmurjail
/mnt/jails/plexjail

and plex would then point to the CIFS share of the "video" dataset?

The creation of the plex jail didn't leave much to the imagination beyond clicking install...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Can you post a debug from your system? System -> Advanced -> Save Debug.

Have you tried powering off your system, then powering it back up (no, not a reboot either)?

J-NAS

Dabbler
Can you post a debug from your system? System -> Advanced -> Save Debug.

Have you tried powering off your system, then powering it back up (no, not a reboot either)?

I'm still on 9.2.1.8 - have things moved around recently? I'm more than happy to post a debug but I don't see an advanced menu anywhere within System, either on the top or side bar... Debug in next post.

Heading to work--will attempt a shutdown this evening.

Here's something I can see in the console window of potential interest:

freenas smb[46272]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionscreate_connection_session_info failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Last edited:

J-NAS

Dabbler
OK, took some deep breathes, re-read Cyberjock's wonderful guide and (re)consulted the manual. Debug is attached. I am hesitant to power down until I understand what it is I've done. The thought of it not coming back up...that gives me chills.

Also received a security email with the following, which was prompted by me powering off the jails and turning them back on. Perhaps that offers some insight?

Re-checking my terminology, I created one six disk pool, from which I created numerous datasets. One dataset was "video" and then shared as "video" over CIFS. It was this share specifically that Plex was pointed to, and it's internal "media" folder chosen as shown in the tutorial video.

freenas.local changes in mounted filesystems:
23a24
> share/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail /mnt/share/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail zfs rw,noatime,nfsv4acls 0 0
25a27
> share/jails/plexmediaserver_1 /mnt/share/jails/plexmediaserver_1 zfs rw,noatime,nfsv4acls 0 0
freenas.local kernel log messages:
> bridge0: Ethernet address: 02:5f:be:f2:25:00
> bridge0: link state changed to UP
> igb0: promiscuous mode enabled
> epair0a: Ethernet address: 02:e5:f6:00:08:0a
> epair0b: Ethernet address: 02:e5:f6:00:09:0b
> epair0a: link state changed to UP
> epair0b: link state changed to UP
> epair0a: promiscuous mode enabled
> igb0: link state changed to DOWN
> ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't re-name node epair0b
> igb0: link state changed to UP
> arp: 192.168.1.21 moved from 02:e5:f6:00:08:0a to 0c:c4:7a:30:ca:ca on epair0b
> epair0a: link state changed to DOWN
> epair0b: link state changed to DOWN
> bridge0: link state changed to DOWN
> igb0: promiscuous mode disabled
> ifa_del_loopback_route: deletion failed
> Freed UMA keg (udp_inpcb) was not empty (140 items). Lost 14 pages of memory.
> Freed UMA keg (udpcb) was not empty (1008 items). Lost 6 pages of memory.
> Freed UMA keg (tcpreass) was not empty (672 items). Lost 8 pages of memory.
> Freed UMA keg (tcptw) was not empty (1850 items). Lost 37 pages of memory.
> Freed UMA keg (tcp_inpcb) was not empty (1650 items). Lost 165 pages of memory.
> Freed UMA keg (sackhole) was not empty (808 items). Lost 8 pages of memory.
> Freed UMA keg (tcpcb) was not empty (100 items). Lost 25 pages of memory.
> hhook_vnet_uninit: hhook_head type=1, id=1 cleanup required
> hhook_vnet_uninit: hhook_head type=1, id=0 cleanup required
> bridge0: Ethernet address: 02:5f:be:f2:25:00
> bridge0: link state changed to UP
> igb0: promiscuous mode enabled
> epair0a: Ethernet address: 02:07:f8:00:08:0a
> epair0b: Ethernet address: 02:07:f8:00:09:0b
> epair0a: link state changed to UP
> epair0b: link state changed to UP
> epair0a: promiscuous mode enabled
> ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't re-name node epair0b
> arp: 192.168.1.21 moved from 02:07:f8:00:08:0a to 0c:c4:7a:30:ca:ca on epair0b
> epair0a: link state changed to DOWN
> epair0b: link state changed to DOWN
> bridge0: link state changed to DOWN
> igb0: promiscuous mode disabled
> ifa_del_loopback_route: deletion failed
> Freed UMA keg (udp_inpcb) was not empty (80 items). Lost 8 pages of memory.
> Freed UMA keg (udpcb) was not empty (1008 items). Lost 6 pages of memory.
> Freed UMA keg (tcptw) was not empty (400 items). Lost 8 pages of memory.
> Freed UMA keg (tcp_inpcb) was not empty (90 items). Lost 9 pages of memory.
> Freed UMA keg (tcpcb) was not empty (48 items). Lost 12 pages of memory.
> hhook_vnet_uninit: hhook_head type=1, id=1 cleanup required
> hhook_vnet_uninit: hhook_head type=1, id=0 cleanup required
-- End of security output --​

Attachments

• debug-freenas-20151125221642.tgz
    501 KB · Views: 265

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What is your hardware?

J-NAS

Dabbler

J-NAS

Dabbler
Which isn't visible on Tapatalk
Didn't know that--thanks. Was wondering if I needed to list networking hardware... ???

FreeNAS 9.2.1.8-Release 64-bit

SuperMicro MBD-X-10SL7-F
Xeon E3-1230 V3
4 x 8GB Crucial ECC CT2KIT102472BD160B
6 x HGST Deskstar NAS H3IKNAS40003272SN (0S03664) 4TB
8 GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit
Corsair RM650 Gold

J-NAS

Dabbler
OK, not a lot of appetite at the moment to help a guy as lost as I. I get that--believe me, I do.

Perhaps someone can chime in and let me know the best-practice procedure to nuke the PLEX jail entirely and be done with it, without running into any snafus like, I don't know, deleting the media that was shared with it?...

J-NAS

Dabbler
OK, so took the plunge and deleted the Plex jail, and corresponding Plex .warden-template because, you know--there's no apparent way to actually delete a jail within the jail page GUI. As a result I still have a plexmediaserver_1 jail visible within my Jails page, and as an added bonus--now my fans cycle on and off into high gear. High then low. High then low.

This is why I spent 2 months researching how to initially set up my FreeNAS box. Even then it took the help of a number of individuals on this board. I was not prepared to put the same amount of effort into adding a Plex jail and simply followed the tutorial on the freenas website.

Let this be a warning to those who follow in my footsteps. If you don't know BSD, and aren't prepared to immerse yourself in every inch of it--don't fuck with a working system. Don't assume following a tutorial to the letter is going to result in anything but tears.

There are no shortcuts--you will get burned. My life is swamped with responsibilities ATM and I simply don't have the time to properly educate myself on the what and why of what is happening. If this sounds like you, this is your cue to STOP.

My question, as it seems there isn't an easy way out of this, is this:

Can I power down my system, remove my USB key and replace it with an image of a working FreeNAS system I had before I embarked on this mess? (With one working jail for mumble, and not a whiff of Plex?)

What resides on the USB key, and what resides on my pool? Will the remnants of the Plex stuff just be orphaned and not referenced, or would this mess things up further? Would my scrubs be affected due to the age of the old image?

Really, really appreciate a hand with this...

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
OK, so took the plunge and deleted the Plex jail, and corresponding Plex .warden-template because, you know--there's no apparent way to actually delete a jail within the jail page GUI. As a result I still have a plexmediaserver_1 jail visible within my Jails page, and as an added bonus--now my fans cycle on and off into high gear. High then low. High then low.

This is why I spent 2 months researching how to initially set up my FreeNAS box. Even then it took the help of a number of individuals on this board. I was not prepared to put the same amount of effort into adding a Plex jail and simply followed the tutorial on the freenas website.

Let this be a warning to those who follow in my footsteps. If you don't know BSD, and aren't prepared to immerse yourself in every inch of it--don't fuck with a working system. Don't assume following a tutorial to the letter is going to result in anything but tears.

There are no shortcuts--you will get burned. My life is swamped with responsibilities ATM and I simply don't have the time to properly educate myself on the what and why of what is happening. If this sounds like you, this is your cue to STOP.

My question, as it seems there isn't an easy way out of this, is this:

Can I power down my system, remove my USB key and replace it with an image of a working FreeNAS system I had before I embarked on this mess? (With one working jail for mumble, and not a whiff of Plex?)

What resides on the USB key, and what resides on my pool? Will the remnants of the Plex stuff just be orphaned and not referenced, or would this mess things up further? Would my scrubs be affected due to the age of the old image?

Really, really appreciate a hand with this...
to properly delete a plugin jail you should delete all plugins installed to that jail.

J-NAS

Dabbler
to properly delete a plugin jail you should delete all plugins installed to that jail.
Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

As soon as I deleted the plugin, a trash can appeared under jails allowing me to delete the Plex Jail. (Of course it errored out as the .warden is already gone)

I guess now I'm stuck looking at the ghost of a jail for the rest of time eternal...though a shutdown and restart *seems* to have addressed the racing fan issue...

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

As soon as I deleted the plugin, a trash can appeared under jails allowing me to delete the Plex Jail. (Of course it errored out as the .warden is already gone)

I guess now I'm stuck looking at the ghost of a jail for the rest of time eternal...though a shutdown and restart *seems* to have addressed the racing fan issue...
you should have deleted the plex plugin first. then the jail would have been deleted for you.

maybe you could create a jail named the same as the plex jail? then delete it

J-NAS

Dabbler
you should have deleted the plex plugin first. then the jail would have been deleted for you.

maybe you could create a jail named the same as the plex jail? then delete it

Oh, I get that. I get that now. And although what you suggest makes logical sense--I believe I'm done with a) jails and b) any suggestions preceded by a qualifier such as "maybe"

=)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just looked through the debug. Wasn't around due to the holidays.

I would have tried a system reboot. Your uptime was 74 days and it's possible something wonky happened and a reboot would have cleared it.

Other than that, there was nothing that appeared "out of place" from the debug. Some stuff that was innocuous like Samba denying access due to invalid usernames or passwords, but nothing that would point to anything with the networking being broken.

You are using 9.2.1.8, and that version is nearly ancient by FreeNAS standards. I'd definitely upgrade to 9.3.1. Some things were changed/added/fixed with the jails, and it's very possible that upgrading would have fixed the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.