How to build Murmur (Mumble server) in a FreeNAS (FreeBSD) jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmck26

Dabbler
Well, you blanked out the only thing that could be a problem.

have you put in the IP address ***OF THE JAIL***? Putting in the IP address of the FreeNAS appliance would be stupid.

Your previous comment was referring to TCP and UDP so I was showing that I had them both setup, but the IP address is the address of the jail. I've narrowed it down to the dynamic dns setup. I can connect from outside my LAN using my external IP so I know the port is open. I used my phone to tether my laptop to the cellular network to test it. I've never setup a dynamic dns before so I'm still reading up on it.

I've followed a couple of your guides now. This one and the one on the caching DNS server, which seems to be working great. They were both very educational. I've thought about trying the owncloud setup but I'm not sure I have a use for it at the moment. I don't use enough cloud storage space right now to need more than what most providers are offering for free.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
of course I used the jail

Your previous comment was referring to TCP and UDP so I was showing that I had them both setup, but the IP address is the address of the jail. I've narrowed it down to the dynamic dns setup. I can connect from outside my LAN using my external IP so I know the port is open. I used my phone to tether my laptop to the cellular network to test it. I've never setup a dynamic dns before so I'm still reading up on it.

I've followed a couple of your guides now. This one and the one on the caching DNS server, which seems to be working great. They were both very educational. I've thought about trying the owncloud setup but I'm not sure I have a use for it at the moment. I don't use enough cloud storage space right now to need more than what most providers are offering for free.
Fair enough. I didn't realize it was working fine when you use the IP directly. I thought you were saying you couldn't access it from the outside. You can access it just fine (which means the port is forwarded fine). Your DNS is just not resolving. Which is an entirely separate issue.

Well, I'll tell you what. I just (yesterday) paid dyn.com (which is dyndns.org) for a two year subscription for $30 (search for an online coupon on retailmenot). That's working *AWESOME*, and the client is built right into FreeNAS.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Also, thanks for the nice comments on the guides. I think you may be one of the only people that like the DNS video (for those wondering what we're talking about, go to youtube, and search for "DrKK DNS").

And installing OwnCloud is a lot like installing more hard drive space. You don't know what you'll use it for. But once you have it, you'll use it.

Bmck26

Dabbler
Fair enough. I didn't realize it was working fine when you use the IP directly. I thought you were saying you couldn't access it from the outside. You can access it just fine (which means the port is forwarded fine). Your DNS is just not resolving. Which is an entirely separate issue.

Well, I'll tell you what. I just (yesterday) paid dyn.com (which is dyndns.org) for a two year subscription for $30 (search for an online coupon on retailmenot). That's working *AWESOME*, and the client is built right into FreeNAS.

I think I got the FreeDNS service to work now. I can connect to the mumble server using my laptop tethered to my phone over LTE anyway and the host name works when I use to log in with Bitvise as well. I'll just have to wait and see if it updates correctly when my IP changes I guess. I did have an ERROR: Address has not changed message in the console. I assume that means the service checked, found no change in the IP address, and everything is working properly.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I think I got the FreeDNS service to work now. I can connect to the mumble server using my laptop tethered to my phone over LTE anyway and the host name works when I use to log in with Bitvise as well. I'll just have to wait and see if it updates correctly when my IP changes I guess. I did have an ERROR: Address has not changed message in the console. I assume that means the service checked, found no change in the IP address, and everything is working properly.
Sounds like the situation is under control, sir.

Supa

Patron
1 question... How do I keep my external IP from changing? I've made network IP static but it doesn't make a difference on the external one correct? I just want to be static so my friends/family don't have to keep changing the IP.

I've condensed it into 1 image too. I made a reference for myself. Thanks!

5CeIeLh.png

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
? I just want to be static so my friends/family don't have to keep changing the IP.
This is typically not possible for home internet users, who are put on dynamic ISP IP ranges.

The closest you can get is to use dynamic DNS. It's somewhat non-trivial, but it can be done. You can look in the FreeNAS documentation for how to use the "Dynamic DNS" service. Once you have that configured correctly, your family/friends would connect with a hostname, like supa.kicks-ass.org, and the Dynamic DNS service that is running on FreeNAS would be responsible for making sure that supa.kicks-ass.org was always pointing to the correct actual IP.

Supa

Patron
This is typically not possible for home internet users, who are put on dynamic ISP IP ranges.

The closest you can get is to use dynamic DNS. It's somewhat non-trivial, but it can be done. You can look in the FreeNAS documentation for how to use the "Dynamic DNS" service. Once you have that configured correctly, your family/friends would connect with a hostname, like supa.kicks-ass.org, and the Dynamic DNS service that is running on FreeNAS would be responsible for making sure that supa.kicks-ass.org was always pointing to the correct actual IP.

Looks like you can only use only certain providers huh...

K4i5QNZ.png

Oh wow.. i just made a free account on no-ip.com and it looks like it's working.

Thanks.

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Alright. I personally pay for dyn.com. This service is important enough to me that I pay the $20/yr or whatever it is.

Supa

Patron
So yeah I myself can connect... but my friend can't.

When I type in the host name I have into the address bar, it just redirects to my router homepage (192.168.1.1). He can connect when he uses my external IP though.

Is there a specific host type I need?

Also do I need to fill in the IP Server?

Oh yeah looks like I might need to edit my router settings as well..

ahh found it...

Question is.. why is it failing....

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
No, you shouldn't need to fill that in.

Let me check your DNS entry...Yes, comes back to a FiOS user in the Los Angeles area, so I assume that's you.

Anyway, it should be working fine.

The problem you might be running into, FiOS does not permit ingress on port 80. If you are trying to allow someone to get in on port 80, you'll have to have them enter on a different port, and set your FiOS router to forward from (say) port 12345 *to* port 80.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
No, you shouldn't need to fill that in.

Let me check your DNS entry...Yes, comes back to a FiOS user in the Los Angeles area, so I assume that's you.

Anyway, it should be working fine.

The problem you might be running into, FiOS does not permit ingress on port 80. If you are trying to allow someone to get in on port 80, you'll have to have them enter on a different port, and set your FiOS router to forward from (say) port 12345 *to* port 80.
I'm sorry, I forgot we were talking about mumble servers.

No, I don't know why your friend can't connect; maybe it'll take a couple hours for his DNS to update or something.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
So yeah I myself can connect... but my friend can't.

When I type in the host name I have into the address bar, it just redirects to my router homepage (192.168.1.1). He can connect when he uses my external IP though.

Is there a specific host type I need?

uqAYTUP.png

Also do I need to fill in the IP Server?

Vsi3I7D.png

Oh yeah looks like I might need to edit my router settings as well..

ahh found it...

g3BSZX8.png

Question is.. why is it failing....
ok evidently it's working, because I can access your Mumble server.

Seems you have set a server password though.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
For anyone else that finds this post because of "dynamic DNS" in the string: let me just be clear. You set *ONE DEVICE* on your LAN to handle dynamic DNS. I recommend that you set it to be your FreeNAS box or pfSense box (if you have one). Otherwise, a lot of decent routers will have some capability (sometimes pretty rudimentary) in their configurations. But you only set *ONE* thing to handle your Dynamic DNS updating, since *EVERYTHING* on your LANside has the same IP address vis-a-vis WAN egress. Any one device will do. See?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Let's stop with the DDNS stuff in the Murmur server thread. Take it to a new thread....

Thanks!

Starblazer

Cadet
Thanks for the guide on setting up Murmur. Server appears to work fine when I connect to it locally but when trying to connect through an external IP I get connection refused. Any idea what I'm missing?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Thanks for the guide on setting up Murmur. Server appears to work fine when I connect to it locally but when trying to connect through an external IP I get connection refused. Any idea what I'm missing?
Yes.

Almost assuredly, you have not done the proper "port forwarding". Typically speaking, when packets from the internet impinge on your router, your router (unless it has already seen *YOU* send something out) has no idea which computer inside your network something is supposed to go to.

You'll need to set up the proper "port forwarding rule" on your router, i.e., so your router knows, hey, when stuff comes in on port 64738 (or whatever), that's supposed to go to computer X.

If you're connecting to it correctly from the local network, then congratulations, you did the whole FreeNAS/FreeBSD part correctly.

What you have now, as I said, is a slight networking issue that you can fix through any of 10020202020 tutorials you will find on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.