Plex service stopping inside jail

itractus

Dabbler
I've added the follwoing line to crontab. Now let's catch this error in action!

Code:
5 * * * *  ps awwux >>/media/Books/ps.txt

I will change this to */5 as per commendation

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Is that first value */5? If it is just 5, you will get a list every hour, only.

Please post text via copy&paste included in "CODE" tags instead of screenshots.

itractus

Dabbler
So after a night of running the txt file shows up empty. I realised I did the cron from inside the jail and just now changed it to the host. Hopefully now I can actually capture the error.

I'm posting here just to keep people in the loop and showing people who stumble here how I went about and tracked down the issue.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
So after a night of running the txt file shows up empty. I realised I did the cron from inside the jail and just now changed it to the host. Hopefully now I can actually capture the error.
That should work inside the jail just as well as long as /media/Books is a writeable path inside the jail.
BTW: you can check if anything ends up in the text file after five minutes, already. No need to wait an entire night.

Possibly you are not running cron at all in the jail?

When doing it outside the jail, use the UI, don't edit any crontab on the command line.

Last edited:

itractus

Dabbler
That should work inside the jail just as well as long as /media/Books is a writeable path inside the jail.
I made sure the mountpoint was writable by creating the ps.txt file using touch and setting permissions to 777 just in case.

Possibly you are not running cron at all in the jail?
This might be the case, though I now bypass this by using the host to do the cron

When doing it outside the jail, use the UI, don't edit any crontab on the command line.

Ok, I removed the manual entry and remade it using the GUI:
1622026677557.png

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

I'm posting here just to keep people in the loop and showing people who stumble here how I went about and tracked down the issue.
Have you checked the Plex logs to see what shows up there at the time of the crash?

itractus

Dabbler
It seems like this also does not produce
Have you checked the Plex logs to see what shows up there at the time of the crash?
Great question and I'm sad to say I forgot to mention this but I made a thread on the plex forums explaining this behavior and the logs are attached. They show nothing out of the ordinary at the time of the crash.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Ah - so the UI probably just slaps a >/dev/null on the end of the line or similar.

itractus

Dabbler
So after a couple of days, I stopped the task. Having collected enough data I think.

In attachement the file. I'll be looking through it finding out what is happening

Attachments

• ps.txt
    19.5 MB · Views: 388