no apt after update to release

indivision

Guru

Davvo

MVP

truecharts

Guru
No. In that case you are just using THE CLI.

The shell is not what is commonly refered to when one means "TrueNAS CLI".
The TrueNAS CLI can be reached using the "cli" command in the shell :)

DrZim

Cadet
Scale is an appliance which depends on certain package versions to run as intended. During the Beta many users ran apt-commands to update packages and in doing so breaking their installation. The Devs then decided to block the use of apt allt ogether. You are not supposed to install packages on the base OS because truenas is not a Distro. It's an appliance running on debian. That doesn't mean that you can just install any additional packages you want. If a package you need is missing you are free to make a suggestion on jira. If it gest enough upvotes it might get included in future releases. Otherwise see if the package you're missing is available as container/app.
TrueNAS Scale's iSCSI docs apparently depend on apt as the only means to install iSCSI initiator support:

I guess I'll research how to enable apt.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
TrueNAS Scale's iSCSI docs apparently depend on apt as the only means to install iSCSI initiator support:

That's for Linux clients. TrueNAS does not support the iSCSI initiator role because that's basically insane. Like FC, there usually isn't enough bandwidth to the pool to attach disks via iSCSI or FC. There is no supported path to attaching iSCSI disks to your TrueNAS host.

MasBa

Cadet
The whole APT suite is there, it's just missing the execute flag, sneaky sneaky.
Just do chmod +x /usr/bin/apt*

Of course, if things break, it's your own fault.
this works like a charm..
thank you :smile:

GourmetSaint

Cadet
I need to install sg3 utils to update firmware on my SAS drives. I have the .deb files but cannot install as apt and dpkg are locked. Any way around this?

danb35

Hall of Famer
The post immediately above yours quotes the answer to your question, at least with respect to apt. I expect you could adapt it for dpkg.

derWalter

Explorer
I need to install sg3 utils to update firmware on my SAS drives. I have the .deb files but cannot install as apt and dpkg are locked. Any way around this?
for this purpose you could also boot into a live linux environment, do the necessary operations and reboot scale.

djaoifj92i90

Dabbler
If apt cannot be run - how does truenas scale install security patches for the operating system and tools?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It does not, in the sense that all updates are distributed as full OS images (though technically they're broken up into a small handful of distinct packages, this is close to irrelevant to users).

This is considered acceptable because the system is not designed to be exposed to the internet and thus doesn't need to immediately keep up with every single patch for every single thing.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If apt cannot be run - how does truenas scale install security patches for the operating system and tools?

Why would you think apt would have anything to do with this? Just because some Linux versions use apt for this, that does not imply TrueNAS works this way. There are no "security patches" for TrueNAS. You install an updated firmware image. This is one of the reasons that the update cadence for TrueNAS tends to be more frequent.

I supposed this is "apt" for the topic at hand...

(Pun fully intended.)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Why would you think apt would have anything to do with this? Just because some Linux versions use apt for this, that does not imply TrueNAS works this way. There are no "security patches" for TrueNAS. You install an updated firmware image. This is one of the reasons that the update cadence for TrueNAS tends to be more frequent.
Starting in SCALE DragonFish we are mounting various parts of the root filesystem readonly, and so users will have to basically run /usr/local/libexec/disable-rootfs-protection if they want to apt-install anything (trying to chmod the apt binary will fail with EROFS). This also sets a flag that the base OS has been altered (which is important for bug report triage).

NugentS

MVP
give me back my freedom -
we are all mature people around here, arent we???
Actually evidence would say NO!
A few may be - but most not

danb35

Hall of Famer
thread10.jpg