Install additional software inside a container

ratho

Cadet
Hello,

I installed several Docker container on my TrueNAS Scale - can I install additional software with the web gui?
Under Docker I can use
Code:
RUN apt-get update && apt-get install -y \
        libfreetype6-dev \

Thanks,
ratho

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It sounds like what you want is a new docker image based on the one you're starting with, but then injecting those other packages.

Then you would run your container instead.

If you really want to edit the container (every time it's re-created, which can be often), then you could use the commands here to get to the console:

ratho

Cadet
In the shell I can install other software - but I like a solution that install the software at re-creation.
I'm looking in the cmd part - but can't find the correkt syntax

2021-11-13 12_51_02-Clipboard.png

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What you (both) need to do is learn how to create a docker image using something like docker build... I'm sure some googling will turn up thousands of how-tos.

You can create your dockerfile (for use with docker build) in github and then use docker hub to build that or you can build it locally and use docker push (after tagging the image to name it) to upload it to the docker registry (or a private one of your own).

You can base your image (at the start of the dockerfile) on the one you're already using and just add the bits you want in the container.

eicosan

Cadet
Hi Stretalla,
I know the concept of docker containers and how to build them.
In my case I'm using the TrueCharts application of node-red and I need an additional python library to execute certain scripts.

I wanted to avoid building my complete own node-red virtualisation or docker container.

Thanks,
Johannes

eicosan

Cadet
sretalla, sorry for auto correction of your nick. I'm not able to edit my post.

sretalla