Disaster after accidentally running apt-get upgrade

a575606

Cadet
Hi everyone. I have spent a couple weeks setting up my first TrueNAS home server and was finally getting everything working when I had a bit of a disaster. I'm really hoping someone can help, as it's really been a huge amount of work.

Basically, to make a long story short, I was trying to build a docker image and one of the commands in the Docker file included running an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y. I was getting an error at that step and so I ran the command manually, not thinking about the fact that I was running the update outside of the scope of the container. It was not until I saw various truenas components being upgraded that I realized the mistake.

I tried rebooting but all is not well with my installation. My network adapters aren't detected (4 x 1Gb in 802.3ad link), nor are my data pools (6 x 4tb z1 with 128 gb ssd cache and 1 x 4tb single drive stripe). I can get to the cli, but with no networking nor access to data, it's not so helpful. It does find my boot pool however, a 128 gb ssd.

My idea is to unplug the data drives and reboot on a usb install disk and reinstall TrueNAS, then reboot with my drives plugged in, hoping they'll be picked up. However, before doing anything I wanted to know if:

a) is there any way to save the config settings, users, etc? and

b) do I have the right idea, or is there another way to rescue things I haven't thought of?

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!

sretalla