Apt software

Pontiac

Cadet
TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.0.1

I just bought a machine from a computer recycler, threw 32gig of Ram at it, and today, just purchased a pair of 8tb CMS drives to replace the first pair of 4tbs where one drive started throwing SMART errors about 90% through copying the data from another NAS. I'm tossing data from a DroboPro from another machine, and watching it do its thing (Going to take a few days) and been enjoying watching the rsync I configured in TrueNAS sync the files via rsync. It's slow (Because NTFS and junk on the Pro) but, pulling at 20meg/sec is better than losing everything. (The DroboPro is running off another PC at the moment, and was used to recover from my 5N that died for some dumb reason)

I fully plan on rebuilding the array again when I get another pair of 8TB drives in a couple weeks or a month, so, I'm not concerned in the least about what's on this, either the OS or the drives. I'll be switching it up with another tech that isn't just raid-mirror.

As this was working and getting the data off the Pro, I decided I wanted to throw some additional network stress at the machine, and threw some ISOs at it. I wanted to monitor the throughput via shell to TrueNAS to see what was going on, but when I went to run apt, it goes and grabs the packages for nethogs, but, dies with this error:

root@truenas:~# apt install nethogs
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
nethogs
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/35.8 kB of archives.
After this operation, 102 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Could not exec dpkg!
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (100)

Looking around, I see that TrueNAS is supposed to be FreeBSD but I see a debian_version, so I'm a bit confused to why apt would be on a FreeBSD, and then why dpkg is running an error? I don't see anything in any of the logs that would indicate what this is about.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
TrueNAS SCALE is Debian-based, but in either case we do not recommend or support using apt or dpkg from the shell and in fact have disabled their execution by default (that's why dpkg is failing)

We do include ifstat if you'd like a terminal-based way to check on traffic.

Cheers!

Pontiac

Cadet
The key there was "disabled", so I "un-disabled" the tool, did my work, then "re-disabled". Thanks. ;)

I just might get a small VM put on this particular machine then to be a build environment for some of the usual small monitoring tools I want.

I understand why something like TrueNAS would disable something like this. Fully understand and appreciate keeping the people that know just enough to be dangerous away from the hot plate. ;)

There's too much at risk for just anyone having access to do some serious damage (And I saw a few threads about that in here). I'll just be careful and watch what the tool is going to do when this particular setup goes into "production".