Does debian going to bullseye for stable mean we can apt-get upgrade?

marmoset

Dabbler
Not right now, but maybe after 21.08? I'd love to be able to apt-get upgrade when there's (unrelated to truenas) security issues fixed by new packages.

Debian upgrades have always been pretty pain free for me, hoping that the general case going forward for TrueNAS is that we can update/upgrade as we wish (with the caveat that there may be super edge cases).

LarsR

Guru
I'm guessing no, because the truenas middleware depends on certain package versions. If you use apt update/upgrade those dependencies could break.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Correct, we do *not* recommend using apt locally, unless you understand that you can easily brick your system. It is available because there are times you want to do development work and use apt install to grab some package for that, but updates to TrueNAS should always be done through the built-in mechanisms.

ornias

Wizard
Not right now, but maybe after 21.08? I'd love to be able to apt-get upgrade when there's (unrelated to truenas) security issues fixed by new packages.

Debian upgrades have always been pretty pain free for me, hoping that the general case going forward for TrueNAS is that we can update/upgrade as we wish (with the caveat that there may be super edge cases).
Not being able to use apt-get without bricking has nothing to do with the debian version. There is no relation between the two, like @LarsR and @Kris Moore explained it's a TrueNAS thing.

In short:
- It's fine to use apt-get update
- It's fine to download small tools using apt-get install, as long as you verify no dependencies cause updates to existing software
- It's fine to use apt-get install for development, but only if you really understand what you're doing or it's a throw-away system
- It's never going to work to use apt-get upgrade.

iX does, however, allow users to submit suggestions on Jira if they want additional software to be added to the default packages.

marmoset

Dabbler
Correct, we do *not* recommend using apt locally, unless you understand that you can easily brick your system. It is available because there are times you want to do development work and use apt install to grab some package for that, but updates to TrueNAS should always be done through the built-in mechanisms.

Bummer, I was hoping since you were tracking bullseye, that once it became stable it would work out.

What do the plans look like for releases/updates after it's actually released, is there a way to get security updates faster than the releases have been so far? I'm really just interested in security updates when I talk about doing an upgrade, since debian doesn't generally bump versions of anything in stable anyway.

Thanks.

pinoli

Dabbler
I guess I was too early, because I bricked mine 10 days ago.
anyway, reinstallation was a breeze, everything imported back with no hiccups. Still testing if SCALE can meet the road.

ornias

Wizard
Bummer, I was hoping since you were tracking bullseye, that once it became stable it would work out.
I've no idea how you came up with this idea, as distro's have nothing to do with supporting Apt-Get or not.
but... sure... I guess...

What do the plans look like for releases/updates after it's actually released, is there a way to get security updates faster than the releases have been so far?
It would just be the same culture as CORE, just with another backend. You're reading too much into the fact it's using debain, that's only a technical specification, it's just another TrueNAS version like CORE and ENTERPRISE.

I'm really just interested in security updates when I talk about doing an upgrade, since debian doesn't generally bump versions of anything in stable anyway.
iX manages their own dependencies, they do not solely depend on what debian does.