SOLVED No More apt?

why on earth can i not use apt in truenas 24.04? I need it for one thing and one thing only and you guys took it away. I use Prometheus-node-exporter for monitoring and i can no longer do this. I believe we as users should have the right to risk messing up our system. Please give us the option back to enable apt. If not how do i work around this so i can get node exporter installed?

probain

Patron
Not going into the whole "TN is an Appliance"-thing. But instead:
Try the new Dragonfish Beta. You'll there have an unsupported developer mode that you can activate. It should let you get apt and such back.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This really is nothing new at all, as apt and pkg have always been disabled or restricted through various means. Still more than a few users decided to ignore the warning signs and ended up borking their systems in weird and wonderful ways.

Thank you guys. Before I just enabled apt and dpkg with chmod /bin/apt* same thing with dpkg. After research I found the dev tools install. Also much nicer this way since before the only way I could get node explorer to run is to change the systemd .service file to run as root. As of now it seems to be running as the user prometheus with no issues.

FrankWard

Explorer
why on earth can i not use apt in truenas 24.04? I need it for one thing and one thing only and you guys took it away. I use Prometheus-node-exporter for monitoring and i can no longer do this. I believe we as users should have the right to risk messing up our system. Please give us the option back to enable apt. If not how do i work around this so i can get node exporter installed?
I haven't enabled apt/dpkg, but I've used curl to install a few tools such as ohmyzsh, htop, neofetch, etc. to spice up my root SSH. Perhaps you can do the same?

Code:
sh -c “$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh/master/tools/install.sh)”

spacecabbie

Explorer

Blabla its just an appliance etc...
Disclaimer: this is unsupported.
Just do:
chmod +x /usr/bin/apt* chmod +x /usr/bin/dpkg apt-get update

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Have fun storming the castle^W^W^Wdestroying your appliance.
preview.jpg

I found a bug in TrueNAS Core. :frown:

Code:
chmod +x /usr/bin/apt*
chmod: /usr/bin/apt*: No such file or directory

chmod +x /usr/bin/dpkg
chmod: /usr/bin/dpkg: No such file or directory

apt-get update
apt-get: command not found

I tried rebooting my server. Still doesn't work. The FreeBSD forums were useless, basically ridiculing me.

Filing a new bug report on Jira.

I just don't understand why SCALE has tools that they intentionally leave out of Core! :mad:

dak180

Patron
I just don't understand why SCALE has tools that they intentionally leave out of Core!
Even worse is when the leave out tools in SCALE from Core, like bc.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Blabla its just an appliance etc...
Disclaimer: this is unsupported.
Just do:
chmod +x /usr/bin/apt* chmod +x /usr/bin/dpkg apt-get update
Starting in DragonFish, this can be accomplished via /usr/local/libexec/disable-rootfs-protection. It also helpfully sets a property on the boot pool that we use when triaging bug tickets.

For those of you who sometimes look through user debugs when trying to help them out, there is a plugins/system_state directory that among other things gives ZFS diffs of /usr and other parts of boot-pool (so that you can more quickly determine whether base install has been fiddled with).

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
On a personal note, there are a lot of really neat things going into dragonfish. As we approach RC1 community testing and feedback will be much appreciated (especially for the new SMB share auditing support).