Wireguard gone from UI?

n1ete

Cadet
Hey everyone, first a big thumps up to truenas scale dev team.

i tried scale nightly in december first and last night i decided to rebuild my fileshare environment with the latest nightly image to play with it.
One thing i am almost sure to remember it was present in the december version of scale was wireguard accessible over webui.....now i just saw that openvpn has taken its place? is there any reason for that? any way to reactivate it or do i just need to follow the generic wireguard install on debian via ssh? i read that truecommand cloud will make use of wireguard but in my use case scenario i would like to connect truenas scale to an different hypervisor node network over wireguard and use it as backup target.

second a bit offtopic question:
is it feasable to use apt update / apt dist-upgrade from shell or will i break something?
thanks in advance and nice to be a part of the community ;)

shadofall

Contributor
Hey everyone, first a big thumps up to truenas scale dev team.

i tried scale nightly in december first and last night i decided to rebuild my fileshare environment with the latest nightly image to play with it.
One thing i am almost sure to remember it was present in the december version of scale was wireguard accessible over webui.....now i just saw that openvpn has taken its place? is there any reason for that? any way to reactivate it or do i just need to follow the generic wireguard install on debian via ssh? i read that truecommand cloud will make use of wireguard but in my use case scenario i would like to connect truenas scale to an different hypervisor node network over wireguard and use it as backup target.

second a bit offtopic question:
is it feasable to use apt update / apt dist-upgrade from shell or will i break something?
thanks in advance and nice to be a part of the community ;)

I don't recall wiregaurd being an option only OpenVPN Server/Client

as for apt.. truenas for all intents and purpose is an appliance, and major updates should only be done via the official updates methods

That said. apt dist-upgrade will certainly break things

apt update, just updates in package database. so it would be fine to run since it doesnt make changes really. but kinda pointless since it would get wiped on Scale update under normal circumstances

apt upgrade. should work ok for specific targets. esp if your testing something. but could break things depending on which packages you upgrade. and would be wiped out on Scale Update.

n1ete

Cadet
mmh thanks for the info, i guess i get old then and remember things that i shoud feature request xD