Nextcloud for beginners

Xa3phod

Dabbler
Hi, I installed NextCloud on my Truenas Core. I literally have no idea how to start using NextCloud and it's hard to find any documentation for beginners. I see a lot of help guides setting it up in Linux, etc, but not for Truenas.

When I go to the IP for the Nextcloud I get this message:

Access through untrusted domain
Please contact your administrator. If you are an administrator, edit the "trusted_domains" setting in config/config.php like the example in config.sample.php. I tried nano, but I cant find config.php.

I have no idea what to do. I have to edit my trusted domain settings. No idea how to do that. Why would the initial IP Nextcloud gave me not be automatically whitelisted?

Once I figure this out, how do I access the server from outside of my home network?

Thanks for your patience.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Did you use the plugin? If so, delete it and forget the plugins are there--they're a dead feature walking, "all but deprecated", and "a path to sadness," the latter to in the words of iX' SVP of Engineering:

A much better way to install it, in my completely unbiased opinion, is here:

Once it's installed,
how do I access the server from outside of my home network?
is a matter of port forwarding to the jail where Nextcloud is installed.

Xa3phod

Dabbler
"First, you must own or control a real Internet domain name." = I don't have a domain. No free way to do this?

Thanks Kosh.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you only want to access your Nextcloud locally, a static hosts entry on your desktop system or in your local DNS server will do. But in most cases the motivation to run Nextcloud in the first place is remote access. And for that a dedicated domain name is mandatory. Possibly your ISP offers a more or less choosable domain name bundled with your access package.

Davvo

MVP

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
German Telekom does offer that, but I do not use it, since I have my own domain. Also popular in Germany is AVM, manufacturer of the popular "Fritzbox" series of home routers. They offer a free proprietary DynDNS service with a name under the "myfritz.com" domain, if I remember the details correctly.