[Newbie] Mini-ITX Mobo in 2023

neetbuck

Explorer
I always got all my drives from the same source when buying
this wouldn't happen to be a source from the EU right? If anyone happens to know any trustworthy vendors in Europe that info would be much appreciated... currently I'm looking at amazon.es lol

neetbuck

Explorer
Also - does anyone have any thoughts on my idea to use a 90 degree molex adapter due to the restrictive back-panel?

I'm considering getting this one but i'm worried there will be some issue because of the way it bifurcates.

MrGuvernment

Patron
this wouldn't happen to be a source from the EU right? If anyone happens to know any trustworthy vendors in Europe that info would be much appreciated... currently I'm looking at amazon.es lol
Nope, I am in Canada, and that adapter looks fine.

Davvo

MVP

Davvo

MVP
Quite a few things. Basically issues with how the power is delivered... I remember looking up the specs for this thread, but as a rule of thumb if there are two plugs usually you have to use two (separate) cables.
Also not overcomplicating things when don't needed it's a good habit to pick up: less potential points of failure.
If you want the extra leeway, grab an extender. Much safer.

Last edited:

neetbuck

Explorer
two plugs usually you have to use two (separate) cables
isn't the [6pin to 3x 4pin molex] cable that the SF600 i have comes with basically one cable split into three? not two separate cables.

issues with how the power is delivered
What is the problem with how the power is delivered through a splitter adapter like the one i was looking at? I'm not trying to necessarily poke holes - I just want to understand as much as I can.

less potential points of failure
yeah I can see that - although using two extenders like you suggest also has the same issue.

Davvo

MVP
isn't the [6pin to 3x 4pin molex] cable that the SF600 i have comes with basically one cable split into three? not two separate cables.
It's a single cable, yes, but it can (should since I don't remember the specs) withstand the full load of a few molex plugs; the overly safe move would indeed be to use two of such cables.

What is the problem with how the power is delivered through a splitter adapter like the one i was looking at? I'm not trying to necessarily poke holes - I just want to understand as much as I can.
The risk is the board needing more power than what a single molex plug (or the adapter's cables) can withstand: if I have 2 plugs and I connect both to one, there is a choke point... which can result in lower than required power being delivered or higher than (single plug) specs power being delivered. Plus, all the issues of bad splitter build quality (cables not able to withstand the power, bad crimps, etc).

yeah I can see that - although using two extenders like you suggest also has the same issue.
Yup, that's a compromise if you need the extra leeway (ie for space constraints)... not having a splitter lowers the chance of going overloading the single plug or similar issues.

I haven't done the math, don't have time. You could look for the numbers and see if you can use a single splitter, a single cable, or need different solutions. This thread is too old for me to remember, and I don't have much time to help you. Do your homework, or wait for seomeone else.

neetbuck

Explorer
The risk is the board needing more power than what a single molex plug (or the adapter's cables) can withstand: if I have 2 plugs and I connect both to one, there is a choke point... which can result in lower than required power being delivered or higher than (single plug) specs power being delivered. Plus, all the issues of bad splitter build quality (cables not able to withstand the power, bad crimps, etc).
I think I understand what your concerns with the splitter adapter are.

I have another alternative I found after searching through the same site: here

I emailed the company and they said they would even cut the short section between the plugs down to a shorter size for me. Do you see any flaws with this other option?

Davvo

MVP
The only thing that makes me ponder is the not-Y layout that makes the two ports in series and not in parallel. Apart from that it looks great.

Etorix

Wizard
This is the same serial layout as in your regular PSU cables… Not for the first time in this thread, there's a lot of over-thinking (and excessive worring) going on with this small build.

Davvo

MVP
Yup, nothing that would stop me from buying it. Or the previous model as well tbh.

Just passing considerations that may appear more important than necessary, but mighe be useful for academic purposes.

I am a tad too obsessed with perfectionism and safety.