Mini ITX, ECC RAM, 6 SATA, low TDP?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
With /dev/random you are probably testing your CPU and not the storage. Look for fio to do the latter

jaeti01

Dabbler
With /dev/random you are probably testing your CPU and not the storage. Look for fio to do the latter
Argh - you caught me here. I should stop blindly copying examples from the internet. Never occurred to me that this could be the bottleneck.
Thanks a lot for point this out!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Use /dev/zero and disable compression for the dataset for a quick test with dd.

jaeti01

Dabbler
Use /dev/zero and disable compression for the dataset for a quick test with dd.
I actually found a quite nice overview for fio here (German language) which I was following. Things look different now. The NVMe is now indeed much faster.

Etorix

Wizard
It could be that you're measuring the throughput of /dev/random here…

jaeti01

Dabbler

jaeti01

Dabbler
I have finally started to assemble my system. Two questions, I didn't find an answer for:
  • The Supermicro Mini SAS HD cable has an additional plug called P4. What's that good for?
  • The A2SDi-HLN4F Board has 4 Fan connectors (1-3 & A). The documentation says 1 is for CPU. What is "A" good for? Seeams something special, otherwise it would just have been named Fan-4 :smile:
Thanks again for all the wonderful support. I already love the build.

Etorix

Wizard
The Supermicro Mini SAS HD cable has an additional plug called P4. What's that good for?
A special header for LEDs to show disk activity. It's also good for making a knot to tie up the breakout cable… :tongue:
The A2SDi-HLN4F Board has 4 Fan connectors (1-3 & A). The documentation says 1 is for CPU. What is "A" good for? Seeams something special, otherwise it would just have been named Fan-4 :smile:
Look for Supermicro fan control scripts here. From their documentation, you'll see that Supermicro boards have two zones for fans, which can be set independently of each other: That's your numbers vs. letters…
Then, depending on your case and how the build is arranged, you might actually want to put the CPU fan on 'A' and use '1', '2', '3' for case/drive cooling, adjusting the script as appropriate.

jaeti01

Dabbler
A special header for LEDs to show disk activity. It's also good for making a knot to tie up the breakout cable… :tongue:
Ah - like a cable tie. That makes sense :cool:
Look for Supermicro fan control scripts here. From their documentation, you'll see that Supermicro boards have two zones for fans, which can be set independently of each other: That's your numbers vs. letters…
Then, depending on your case and how the build is arranged, you might actually want to put the CPU fan on 'A' and use '1', '2', '3' for case/drive cooling, adjusting the script as appropriate.
Thanks, will do.

jaeti01

Dabbler
Now that I have started migrating some data to my new box, I am impressed how well it performs.
The gist of the project was to replace my aged QNAP TS-439 Pro II+ which is now 14 years in service.
When the OS turned unsupported by QNAP, I have added some memory and replaced it with openmediaVault which still runs well on that old mainboard. But now - I have realised it's been more than time to replace it.
o_O