New Forum Theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Hey everyone! We will be switching the default theme for the forums to "XenPress" today very soon. XenPress is a highly responsive theme that will help fix some glitchiness that was carried over into "New Style". I've themed it with the same colors and styles from "New Style" and I'm confident you will feel like it's pretty familiar. I'll be glad to respond to any bugs or issues with the theme. Google Translate has been temporarily disabled as it was causing a bug where message overlays were being displayed off the bottom of the page. I'll look into getting this fixed and back into the forums ASAP.

Thanks!

Last edited:

danpoleary

Dabbler
In the previous theme, I was able to see and navigate forum threads from the top and bottom menu. Now it is only available in the top menu. This forces the use of scrolling a long thread back to the top to navigate back, or use the back button. When using the back button, the current thread read, shows as unread, and is not updated with any new posts. So now I am forced to use back button, followed by a page refresh to see what I read, and whats new since.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Thanks for letting me know about that. That's one thing I hadn't noticed. I'll see if that feature can be brought over. In the mean time if you can't live without that feature don't forget you can still select a different theme in the bottom left hand corner.

Fredde

Explorer
This theme only works in landscape view on iPhone (ios 9.3.5)

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Thanks for reporting this @Fredde. Can you tell me which elements look like they aren't being displayed properly? I'll be glad to have a look at those. I do see it looks like the login button blocks the edge of the logo so I'll need to fix that.

J

jkh

This theme is slightly easier to use on my Apple watch but could use more haptic feedback!

P.S. Just kidding. I don't have an Apple watch. I was waiting for them to be waterproof.

The text renders oddly in Chrome. But that's pretty typical with Chrome's crappy fonts.

Cheers,
Matt

Nick2253

Wizard
Some observations/comments:

I'm also seeing a text problem in Firefox. The rendering is extremely poor compared to "New Style". XenPress vs New Style.

upload_2016-9-8_12-24-28.png

Speaking of text issues, the font seems to be a couple points smaller in a few places (like the alert drop down), so I find myself squinting or moving closer to read stuff that I never had to do before.

The Header/quick navigation seems to take up an awful lot of vertical space:
upload_2016-9-8_12-27-59.png

The tan bar across the top of the theme seems out of place to me. I mean, it doesn't look bad, per se; it just doesn't seem to go with "FreeNAS", if that makes sense.

Nick2253

Wizard
To add something constructive:

I'm seeing a gap between the bottom of the forum and the bottom bar:

upload_2016-9-8_13-0-44.png

Fredde

Explorer
Thanks for reporting this @Fredde. Can you tell me which elements look like they aren't being displayed properly? I'll be glad to have a look at those. I do see it looks like the login button blocks the edge of the logo so I'll need to fix that.

Look at the attachment. My english is not that good and pictures says more Than 1000's words they say

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    905.9 KB · Views: 404
  • image.png
    image.png
    385.4 KB · Views: 395

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm also seeing a text problem in Firefox. The rendering is extremely poor compared to "New Style". XenPress vs New Style.

index.php

Speaking of text issues, the font seems to be a couple points smaller in a few places (like the alert drop down), so I find myself squinting or moving closer to read stuff that I never had to do before.
Yeah, it's a bit hard on the eyes:

upload_2016-9-9_1-35-24.png

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll make sure to have a look at all of this and see if we can fix these elements. The phone rendering is awful in those pictures @Fredde. Sorry for the inconvenience. Did the forums work perfectly with "New Style" before for you?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No huge layout issues with Edge on my phone, but the bold font is treated very oddly and is hard to distinguish from non-bold - oddly enough, the distinction is clear on desktop. The layout being okay might be just a product of the larger screen/resolution, compared to the iPhone 5-type screen, though.
That white sidebar is going to be a universal nuisance on phones, though.

wp_ss_20160909_0001.png

Edge on the phone. The lack of contrast between bold and standard is much greater when scaled to a phone form factor.

upload_2016-9-9_2-8-38.png

Edge on desktop. Bold titles look fine, most rendering seems to match Firefox.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Spoke too soon, atrocious phone layout is happening here, too.
Landscape is even worse and a massive downgrade. I used to get the desktop layout when in landscape.
wp_ss_20160909_0003.png

wp_ss_20160909_0002.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Apologies for the triple post, but the image viewer is broken beyond belief:
wp_ss_20160909_0004.png

Stux

MVP
New theme is not working so well on an iPhone 6s in Portrait mode.

Latest iOS.

image.png

Fredde

Explorer
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll make sure to have a look at all of this and see if we can fix these elements. The phone rendering is awful in those pictures @Fredde. Sorry for the inconvenience. Did the forums work perfectly with "New Style" before for you?

Yes it was, before i could use one hand to navigator and write.

Now i must use both hands to write, not used to do that. But maybe i Will learn that to

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The font gives me a headache, as it looks blurred. This is Firefox on Windows 7.
It's like all browsers on all platforms treat it differently, and they all treat it badly.

Much of the text is unreadable using Chrome 53.0.2785.101 m on Windows 7...

Bad-Rendering-in-Chrome.png

Cheers,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.