AMD E-350 Thread (now in new forum?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_clark

Cadet
My motherboard arrived today. Probably won't get time to build it all until this weekend. Anybody tried the new 1402 bios that's listed on the ASUS site? It's dated November 4.

Wondering if it will fix the problem with the PCIe slots.

I'll give it a try and let you know.

jfr2006

Contributor
Are referering to the E35M1-Pro or E35M1-M? Because for the E35M1-M, the latest BIOS is from May :(

jfr2006

Contributor
The the answer is yes. Version 1402 has solved those problems (at least for some boards)

mr_clark

Cadet
For anybody running the PRO MB do you need to install the fan on the CPU? I thought it was optional?

Kasboh

Cadet
Just finished installing FreeNAS 8.0.2 on asus e35m1-I Deluxe.
Does anyone know how to get wireless card working?
If I list interfaces from command line, only loop back and ethernet is shown.
I tried also adding if_ath_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf, but the interface is still not showing up.
Can someone help me?

dark

Cadet
My order should be showing up today, I'm excited to get this built underway!

Item Number: Item Description:
N82E16813131732 MB/CPU ASUS | E35M1-I R
N82E16817371033 PSU ANTEC| EA-380D GREEN RT
N82E16820231426 MEM 4Gx2|G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL
N82E16811112339 CASE LIANLI| PC-Q25B RTL

RobKamp

Dabbler
Memory

Do we really need 8GiB memory in order to run FreeNas 8 or is this just to boast?

Digidoc

Dabbler
I've run FreeNAS x64 on as little as 4GB of RAM (with a seven drive RAIDZ2 array. It was on an s939 Opteron 185, nForce4 mobo, and DDR memory). I wouldn't recommend it though; to me the system ran very sluggish compared to how I have it configured now (PhenomII 1090T, 16GB of RAM, nvidia 890 chipset based board). The server has only one active user on it at any given time too (me). If *I* found 4GB of RAM to be slow, then chances are you're going to feel it too.

8GB of RAM is definitely not for boasting purposes if you're running a ZFS based array. If you're only using UFS you most likely could get away with only 4GB of RAM though. Unless you have a system that won't support more than 4 or 8GB of RAM, it's worth it to stick as much RAM in it as possible. RAM is ridiculously cheap these days.

Do we really need 8GiB memory in order to run FreeNas 8 or is this just to boast?

mrME

Dabbler
Just got my asrock e350m setup running stable again...had NIC lock up after system reboot. Great board for lower power server.

specs.....
Freenas 8.0.2
ASROCK E350M1 {CPU fan lvl 1 in BIOS}
Pareema 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Intel EXPI9301CTBLK NIC
4 - WD20EARS 2TB HDD
picoPSU-150-XT PowerSupply
Raidmax ITX case
1 - Noctua NF-R8-1800 {lvl 1 manual speed control in BIOS}

woger

Dabbler
mrME,
Do you have special settings for anything, and do you have the USB3 version? I have the USB3 version but with USB3 enabled it doesn't even start up en without USB3 I can't get it stable. However, I must say that it can be the samsung 2Tb drives which are crap. Anyone else using the Asrock E350M1/USB3 ?

mrME

Dabbler
No I dont have the USB 3 version. Have you checked setting in BIOS to disable the USB 3. The only thing I changed in the BIOS was the fan settings, and the boot order everything is pretty much default. Like I said the only problem i've had was during a reboot from the GUI my NIC locked up. Check in the other forums if anyone else has problems with USB 3, sound like a driver issue.

woger

Dabbler
Well, the USB3 is not my biggest concern. At the moment the server hangs every 24 to 48 hours and I have to hardreboot the system. Do you see a different bios boot if you hardboot or if you softboot? If I do a softboot (reboot in freenas) it hangs for about 20 seconds before loading the bios. it displayes a few codes in the rightbottom corner of the screen. If I turn the machine off and on again, it goes almost directly to the bios.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I've tested 2x8GB on two different e-350 boards. An MSI board and Asus, both worked =]

Now my webserver and FreeNAS box are both running with 16GB DDR3.

mrME

Dabbler
Well, the USB3 is not my biggest concern. At the moment the server hangs every 24 to 48 hours and I have to hardreboot the system. Do you see a different bios boot if you hardboot or if you softboot? If I do a softboot (reboot in freenas) it hangs for about 20 seconds before loading the bios. it displayes a few codes in the rightbottom corner of the screen. If I turn the machine off and on again, it goes almost directly to the bios.

Im no expert with FreeNAS but it sounds like you've got major problems. No if I do any kind of reboot soft/hard boot it always shows the same BIOS (switched off the logo BIOS). How did you do your install? From a live CD ISO ? Did you get the correct ISO ? It sounds like you need to do a fresh install.

bbenz3

Explorer
Does anyone know how many pci-e lanes are actually on this motherboard? I am trying to figure out if it would be worth getting the pro model over the reg. The size doesn't matter to me as I will be using one of the cases I already I have which is an old school antec case. Are there any other features that I should consider?

woger

Dabbler
Im no expert with FreeNAS but it sounds like you've got major problems. No if I do any kind of reboot soft/hard boot it always shows the same BIOS (switched off the logo BIOS). How did you do your install? From a live CD ISO ? Did you get the correct ISO ? It sounds like you need to do a fresh install.

I use a adata 4Gb usb stick to start freenas. I think the major problem are the samsung drives, but I am not sure. I am also thinking to switch back to v7 but that will kill my raidz.

@Joshua
That's great. Officialy the E350/E450 only supports a max of 8Gb, but if it also supports 16Gb that will make it better upgradable later.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

woger

Dabbler
OK, I am running an Asus E45M1-Deluxe and offcourse the asrock E350M1/USB3. The first with 8Gb and the last with 4Gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.