AMD E-350 Thread (now in new forum?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjo

Dabbler
I'm looking at the same ram. Did you get yours working?

Well bought the same ram and had no problems registered with no issues.

ThreeDee

Guru
I have the GA-E350N-USB3 ... anybody run ECC memory on these E-350's yet? .. says ECC not supported, but I am also running an Atom setup that says it doesn't support ECC, yet I have 2 x 2GB sticks of ECC DDR2 running on it .. If I had some DDR3 ECC modules, I'd give them a try, but alas .. I do not ...

infinitatus

Dabbler
I have a RAIDZ configuration running 6 months now. Everything ok, just 2 things. My SSD (L2ARC) died after a couple of months (was second hand, I used it in a HTPC before). The other thing: I have had 16 Gb RAM running fine on the deluxe version of Asus. Since the last REENAS update and reboot, it only will recognize 8 GB RAM. How is that possible? I know it officially supports only 8 Gb RAM. But nevertheless, the motherboard recognised it before. Even booting pressing the MEMORY OK button won´t change the fact that it only will read 8 of the 16 Gb RAM.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If your BIOS only picks up 8GB of RAM the issue isn't with FreeNAS.

infinitatus

Dabbler
It´s in my BIOS that only 8 GB is seen. I know.
I just wanted to know if anybody encountered the same problem and/or maybe a solution. The motherboard doesn´t support more than 8 GB. But still, it was available the first months.

gpsguy

Have you tested your RAM? Remove each stick and test to see if the other still reports 8Gb. Maybe one died.

ThreeDee

Guru
maybe your memory is still fine .. just one of your ram slots went bad .. or just try reseating the ram

JimmyS

Dabbler
Resurrecting the thread… And bringing you a piece of information regarding the Asus E35M1-I Deluxe motherboard.

I have successfully installed an Intel NIC, EXPI9301CT in the sole PCI-E slot of this MB and it is running fine. To get the PCI-E slot to activate, you just need the correct settings in BIOS.

Setting primary video device to PCIE is the silver bullet. This is the setting that activates the PCIE slot on the Asus E35M1-I Deluxe, just setting it to auto is not enough. You can still force internal graphics in order to be able to manually define the amount of graphics memory for the integrated GPU.

After transferring a few dozens of gigabytes back and forth over gigabit network I can say that transfer speeds with the Intel NIC are both a little faster, and more importantly, the speed is more consistent without the sudden drops to 14.4 modem speed observed with the integrated Realtek NIC.

ThreeDee

Guru
Anybody running 9.3 Stable on an AMD E-350 setup? ..and if so, how is it doing? I have a couple friends that I setup with these mobos awhile ago, so I was curious if getting them upgraded to the latest greatest is going to work for them or not ..

monarchdodra

Explorer
For what it's worth, I'm running 9.3 on one of those, and not seeing any issues. But I did a fresh install though.

IMO, the interface is a BIG improvement.

ThreeDee

Guru
I know these setups are way way .. far far away ... from being recommended hardware to use with FreeNAS .. but thanks for the info monarch

monarchdodra

Explorer
I know these setups are way way .. far far away ... from being recommended hardware to use with FreeNAS .. but thanks for the info monarch
Is it? For a simple *home* server, I running with 8G memory, 1 SDD + 5 HDD, a 150W PicoPSU, and I find it's enough. I can easily saturate my gigabit connection, have a few jails and plugins, stream videos with plex to my ChromeCast etc... My drives are mirrored and setup with a local replication in case the entire pool goes bad (plus an rsync offsite backup).

I mean, unless you actually buy hardware with ECC, the only thing you are getting is a bit more speed?

That said, it's definitely NOT a "production" machine with 100% uptime for 20 concurrent users...

enemy85

Guru
How can you mirror 5hdd!?!? 2+2 and a spare!?

marbus90

Guru
2014-10-08 18:03:19 <_jkh_> one day mister goldfish is happy and swimming in his bowl
2014-10-08 18:03:25 <_jkh_> the next day he is floating on his back

so better buy something common and recommended HW. the numbers of those hardware is usually in the dozens, so some people can give blind advice on them.

monarchdodra

Explorer
2014-10-08 18:03:19 <_jkh_> one day mister goldfish is happy and swimming in his bowl
2014-10-08 18:03:25 <_jkh_> the next day he is floating on his back

so better buy something common and recommended HW. the numbers of those hardware is usually in the dozens, so some people can give blind advice on them.
Are you saing my HW is not recommend? In the sense that it is weak, or unreliable? Or rather, just that it is not on a list of thoroughly tested and trusted hardware?

marbus90

Guru
For several reasons your setup is a disaster waiting to happen.

quote from https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/

Here's where I'm going to be accused of being an Intel shill. AMD systems, on average, do not make good FreeNAS boxes. Why? because AMD is targeted at the lower end market. AMD doesn't put the kind of resources into R&D that Intel does for FreeBSD code, doesn't provide the kind of driver support that Intel does to FreeBSD, and AMD sells a CPU while Intel sells a chipset and CPU which narrows down the options of what motherboards will use. AMD boards often have just about any model of addon that exists while Intel's are typically a pretty narrow range. You buy an Intel board and it's virtually guaranteed to have an Intel SATA controller. These work quite well. AMD can be almost anything. Random things that aren't listed in the specs have been problems for people. Go with AMD and there's a significant chance that you'll lose out on little things like CPU temperature monitoring that will probably drive you nuts. Sorry but the fix is to go ask AMD to fix their problems.

Edit: I have removed the AMD hardware that was listed below because it's just not recommended by iXsystems, so recommending it here seems silly. To quote the CTO of iXsystems "We simply don't have any AMD machines to test with and the FreeBSD discussion lists are full of issues concerning AMD interoperability, which of course FreeNAS has inherited."

monarchdodra

Explorer
Well, I *was* thinking of changing that MB for an intel server Motherboard. I'd by a "server style" motherboard, but those *are* expensive, and so is the added memory. So to replace my mobo, while keeping mini-itx format, I was thinking of this as a replacement:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4992

I don't really know what else to look for other than 6x Sata and dual lan as a bonus. There's a non-wifi version, but it's actually more costly :/

monarchdodra

Explorer
Yeah.... I guess I'll just have to cough up the money. The C2750D4I does look very nice :) I think I'll have to go with that.

marbus90

Guru
or the E3C224D2I if you want to go the socketed route. however, the C2750 is the right processor for almost anything but serving 10Gbe to a single client.

Status
Not open for further replies.