E-350 or Celeron G530 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Child

Dabbler
Hey Guys,

I have a freeNAS-Sys that is currently running based on a AMD E-350. Only when sabnzbd+ and sickbeard are both processing downloads it gets a little slow - meaning: Forget about accessing anything on the smb shares ... but, I don't really mind because that case only happens on a very rare basis.

So now, I'm planning on building a xbmc box as a media-client because I did get my hands on a Intel Celeron G530 plus mITX board. That got me wondering about what hardware is suited better for each task. Should the G530 go into the xbmc-box or into the freeNAS-Sys? I am currently leaning towards using the Celeron for freeNAS.

But still - some opinions or experiences on that would be great ... well, and maybe someone could elaborate about whats the best way to do a MB/CPU-switch on a "running" freeNAS-System.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hey Guys,

I have a freeNAS-Sys that is currently running based on a AMD E-350. Only when sabnzbd+ and sickbeard are both processing downloads it gets a little slow - meaning: Forget about accessing anything on the smb shares ... but, I don't really mind because that case only happens on a very rare basis.

So now, I'm planning on building a xbmc box as a media-client because I did get my hands on a Intel Celeron G530 plus mITX board. That got me wondering about what hardware is suited better for each task. Should the G530 go into the xbmc-box or into the freeNAS-Sys? I am currently leaning towards using the Celeron for freeNAS.

But still - some opinions or experiences on that would be great ... well, and maybe someone could elaborate about whats the best way to do a MB/CPU-switch on a "running" freeNAS-System.

Are you 100% sure it's slow because of the CPU? I use a e350 mobo and never have problems straming over NFS even if sabnzbd is unpacking files. Now if I try the same thing off of a single harddrive it buffers, likely because the single harddrive has to keep reading + writing to different parts of the disk.

So yeah, I would love to know your zpool setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.