AMD E-350 with FreeNas 8.2 | 3x500gb more memory needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakas

Cadet
AMD E-350 with FreeNas 8.2 | 3x500gb more memory needed? | Disk temperatures?

Hello all,
A few months ago i decided to make my own "in-house-NAS". Currently i´m using freeNas 8.2 (upgraded from 8.04 i think). It´s a Asus E-350M1-m board, with a single kingstom 4Gb DDR3 ram.
I´ve got 3 500gb disks, 2 of them CIFS the other with AFTP for mac TimeMachine. Due to house logistics i have to use a devolo PowerLine 200mbs, because electrical interference(?) i can only get 30-33Mb/s of writing speed whereas if directly connected to a 10/100 router i get 90Mbs of writing.
So performance could be a lot better but due to network issues it wont be any sooner due to electrical instalations/powerlines
It´s unusual, but sometimes i´ve got a media center reading and 2computers/clients writing on different disks.

I mainly use the NAS to backup data (CIFS shares), to the more common time machine (AFTP) and to watch movies and photos on the living room (CIFS again) by mediaplayer.
-Will having 4gb more (in a total of 8gb) improve performance? (in reading and writting) or is my bottleneck the network?
-In the near future i´ll add perhaps another 1T drive (westen digital red?) will 4gb be enough for the system or should i go for the 4+4 ram?

-Another thing, having the disks at 32-44ºC (idle-sleep) temperature (it´s a passive system just the PSU fan) harm them in anyway? Or should i buy just a very silent fan to keep the air flowing?

-Any recommended change to my hardware?

By the way, from 8.04 (?) to 8.2 i noticed a greater memory management, it´s very efficient

Thanks in advance,

Status
Not open for further replies.