More Memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I know if my FreeNAS has enough RAM? I built my first FreeNAS box and loaded it up with my data. Opening one of my CIFS shares takes a minute or two to load the entire list of folders (over 1,300 folders.) Since I don't know what is expected for performance I don't know if this is normal or a sign I need more memory. Here are my specs:

SuperMicro X10SLM
Pentium G3420 3.2GHz
Crucial 16GB ECC RAM (PC3 12800)
RAID-Z2 across 6 4TB drives (14.5 TB available space)

As for the network it is connected at 1Gb and I get close to 100MB/s data transfer rate over the wire.

Attached is the recent view of the memory reporting. I see it is reaching the max, is this an indication I need more RAM or will FreeNAS just suck up all the RAM it can get?

download.png

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It'll suck all the RAM it can get. There are some threads about CIFS performance with large numbers of files, and I don't recall the details but I seem to recall memory isn't the issue. You may need to twiddle some other bits.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You have plenty of RAM sir. Definitely not the problem. Assuming you're not using dedup or doing something else stupid.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
do you have 1300 folder in one folder? I have a feeling that is going to be slow no matter how much hardware you throw at it.

esamett

Patron
+1. I'm am not familiar with CIFS but it does seem to work differently than Windows in handling files and directories. Delays occur that wouldn't happen with just windows file stuff. I also found that CIFS got really slow after doing alot of file transfers. Rebooting the server and PC helped. I put in a ticket.

Knowltey

Patron
Your RAM *should* be fine. If you are experiencing performance issues though I would look into troubleshooting other hardware and ruling those out before determining that a RAM upgrade would resolve whatever issue you are having.

I let this sit for awhile and now when I open my share it will pop up very quickly. It does load slow if I just reboot FreeNAS and it is the first time opening this share (FreeNAS building the cache perhaps?) but after that it goes quickly again.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That would be expected; the ARC cannot cache data until it has been read once. After that it will make an effort to cache whatever seems to be needed the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.