BUILD FreeNAS Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longhair

Cadet
After reading the recommended requirements and a couple of stickies, I have put together a parts list for my first build. This will be for the latest version (9.2.1.7).

• Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/ 3x Silent Series R2 140mm (2 front, 1 rear)
  • Motherboard: Supermicro X10SL7-F
  • CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
  • Memory: Crucial 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.35V 1024Meg
  • Power Supply: Corsair HX650
  • Harddrives: 4x WD Red SATA 3TB
When my budget allows, I will add an additional 16GB ram and 4 more drives (motherboard's max).

enemy85

Guru
That PSU is overkill... with 4 drives the seasonic g-360 is more than enough, with 8 the 450w

Longhair

Cadet
That PSU is overkill... with 4 drives the seasonic g-360 is more than enough, with 8 the 450w

I am looking at the specs for the sesonic g-450 and the specs list 6 sata connectors. How would I hook up 8 drives to the power supply?

WallaceTech

Dabbler
You can get a SATA power splitters that branches off and gives you two. Or if you have two 3.5 connections on the PSUI then you can get 3.5 to SATA power. Also if you have some standard molex power then you can get molex to SATA

enemy85

Guru
I am looking at the specs for the sesonic g-450 and the specs list 6 sata connectors. How would I hook up 8 drives to the power supply?
as already @WallaceTech said, u can use a splitter or a 3.5 to sata connector.
I use 5 disks with the g-360 that has only 4 cable with a 3.5 to sata connector and works perfectly

Longhair

Cadet
You can get a SATA power splitters that branches off and gives you two. Or if you have two 3.5 connections on the PSUI then you can get 3.5 to SATA power. Also if you have some standard molex power then you can get molex to SATA

I completely forgot about splitters. The last time I built a PC was well over 15 years ago. A lot has changed...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Does anybody know off hand what size (length) sata cables are needed?

Your best bet is to print out a picture of the relevant view of the case, write down the dimensions and do some simple math to get an estimate for cable length.

That worked for me - I bought 20cm SATA cables and they actually were long enough (barely, I did not expect the cable to be 20cm from tip of connector to tip of connector, but 20cm cable plus connectors).

Status
Not open for further replies.