BUILD New Build - Questions and Recommendations Welcome

slosh001

Dabbler
I'm working on building a new FreeNAS box. This is my second Freenas box but the first one that I want to do right. With so many options I'm trying to narrow down my selections. I use my server mostly for plex and file sharing. 1 - 4 users at a time.

I'm pretty sure this is what I want to go with but want to hear other options.

MB - Supermicro X10SLM-F
CPU - Intel E3 1246 v3
RAM - Samsung 8GB PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600) Memory (M391B1G73QH0YK0) x2

I want to run RaidZ2. I don't need a ton of storage but don't want to cut myself short. I was thinking of going with 5-6 3TB WD Red drives. Would that be good enough?

I also found this case used (https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/chassis/2U/825/SC825TQ-563LPB) online with the fans and PSU's. 1. Is that a good case? 2. Would you trust the used fans and psu?

I also have a LSI 6Gbps SAS HBA LSI 9200-8i. Would I need to use that or does the MB handle raid?

Thanks!

Hey @slosh001, looks like a great start to a build. I left some thoughts/recommendations below for your consideration.

RAM - Samsung 8GB PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600) Memory (M391B1G73QH0YK0) x2
I typically recommend folks get the largest modules supported by their board; this makes it easier to upgrade in the future.

I want to run RaidZ2. I don't need a ton of storage but don't want to cut myself short. I was thinking of going with 5-6 3TB WD Red drives. Would that be good enough?
In your case this is probably fine. You'll have nice redundancy that way.

1. Is that a good case?
I like supermicro a lot. My only issue with this chassis is that is isn't very big; you have relatively little room to grow. Whether you need that or not depends on what you expect your data needs to be.

2. Would you trust the used fans and psu?
Yes, if you purchase from a good seller they will likely replace them if they are DoA. I had one PSU arrive DoA and had no issue getting the seller to replace it.

I also have a LSI 6Gbps SAS HBA LSI 9200-8i. Would I need to use that or does the MB handle raid?
To be very very clear, you do not want to use hardware RAID with FreeNAS. FreeNAS uses zfs and zfs is NOT hardware raid. There are some similarities, but don't let that lull you into thinking they are interchangeable. ZFS is software raid, and that means all that your hardware needs to do is give zfs direct access to your disks and you're all set. What you need is the correct cabling to connect your chassis' backplane to your motherboard. This is typically either SATA plugs or SAS cables. Check out the resource Don't be afraid to be SAS-sy. If that doesn't clear it up feel free post again and someone can clarify.

Do note that many LSI RAID cards can be flashed to IT mode. Check around the forums for more information.

slosh001

Dabbler
Thanks for the Great info Philo! Yes, I wasn't going to us hardware raid. Thats really good info about SAS. I didn't know that! Will give me some reading to do.