XenForo 1.x Forum themes: "New Style" - changelog and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What's with the new ugly monospaced font?
View attachment 15127
In a nutshell, it's meant to reduce the need for CODE tags. I can't really say I agree with compromising the readability of general text (of which there is a lot) to improve readability of console output, to be honest. Alternative suggestions for the CODE tags problem are welcome.

A related change is a new editor, which I've been using for a while now. With tweaking, it seems to have been coaxed into preserving spaces, instead of getting rid of them like XenForo does by default.

In what seems to weird to be a coincidence, I've been noticing some text input lag which I'd never noticed before. I have no idea how it would have anything to do with the monospace font, though.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Alternative suggestions for the CODE tags problem are welcome.
I don't know if it's possible to allow selection of different fonts in the editor, but if so, that would seem to be the obvious solution.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't know if it's possible to allow selection of different fonts in the editor, but if so, that would seem to be the obvious solution.
It is, but you'd have to set a different font every time you write and hope that people go along with it.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
In a nutshell, it's meant to reduce the need for CODE tags.
Are you talking about when someone pastes code or text output from a console? Is this to preserve the formatting of the code without having to use code tags or to preserve it with code tags? Or both?

Lets think about this for a minute. Yes code postings happen on this forum a lot more than others due to the technical nature of the topic material. But most of the posting is not code. It's just posting. In my line of work you establish procedure based on the norm and figure ways to deal with the exceptions. The norm here is still regular postings. There has to be a better way to solve this problem.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Are you talking about when someone pastes code or text output from a console? Is this to preserve the formatting of the code without having to use code tags or to preserve it with code tags? Or both?
Without needing CODE tags. The thinking goes that there's significant resistance against universal use of CODE tags, particularly from new users. (The fancy editor helps to better preserve spaces even in CODE tags, where they sometimes disappeared, but that's a very benign change that's been working fine for me for a few months now.)
Lets think about this for a minute. Yes code postings happen on this forum a lot more than others due to the technical nature of the topic material. But most of the posting is not code. It's just posting. In my line of work you establish procedure based on the norm and figure ways to deal with the exceptions. The norm here is still regular postings. There has to be a better way to solve this problem.
I fully agree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I fully agree.
I know nothing about XenForo so I'm no help there. I'm inclined to think that it's going to take some customization of the forum code to do what you want and what is needed.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It is, but you'd have to set a different font every time you write and hope that people go along with it.
Rather than an extensive font list, just give two options--proportional (which would use the old default font) and monospaced. Default to proportional. But yes, it would still require users to read and follow instructions, which they don't seem to be too good at. But making the general text harder to read, so that the SMART tests and such will be easier to read, really does seem like the wrong call.

Status
Not open for further replies.