Yet Another Forum Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James

Greetings,

I come in peace. :D

We've reached [what I hope is] our final destination. We have migrated, once again, to new forum software. This time, it's called "Xenforo". Xenforo is the brain-child of some ex-developers who worked on vBulletin in the past. The migration was MUCH easier than phpBB-to-vB - most everything you've ever done here should still be accessible. If you run into issues, post them in this thread until we create a new forum for Quality Control.

Before I start Yet Another Flame War, let's agree on the scope of this thread, and stick to it:

What This Thread will cover:
  • Bugs / Missing Features
  • An explanation
  • Volunteering
  • Ranks and Achievements (User Titles and Trophies)
What This Thread does not cover:
  • Style / aesthetics (more on that later)
  • New Feature requests
Why Are We Doing This?
I am sure I am not the only one to notice the 90 users browsing the forum at the time of this post. The problem is that the same dozen or so members are the only members who seem to be logging in. Imagine what life would be like if only a fraction of those other 90 users decided to log-in and contribute. What if more lurkers created forum accounts; but also actually contributed some knowledge? There's a ton of smart people viewing the forums that haven't signed up yet. Let's give them a reason to join us. :D
Well, why log-in? Why would I contribute? To earn points, acquire trophies, and level up your rank. The rankings are currently maxed-out at "Well-known Member" but be assured that there will be new titles coming and benefits for ranking up.

Will This Make Life Better?
That's a tough question. In life, change is thrust upon us and is rarely optional. It's tough to get into a routine when you're constantly wondering when the next change will occur. That's where adapability comes in... If we're willing to adapt we shall all continue to grow. If Facebook has taught us anything, it's that a lot of users are always willing to adapt. Some may leave. Others will return once the dust has settled. The dust has been "settling" in our Community for quite some time. I'd like to think that we're still headed down the right path, and that eventually, the pain we've all endured will be worth our while.

How Can I Help?
Some of our staff have stepped down. Now is your time to shine! I am offering "hands on" training for anyone who'd like to apply for one of the following positions:
  1. Forum Technician - administrative tasks
  2. Super Moderator - Banning, spam prevention, thread & user moderation
  3. Moderator - spam prevention, warning users
  4. Quality Control - Bug reports, usability issues
What's Next
Get involved, stay positive. :)

Feel free to express your thoughts and opinions, report bugs, or volunteer for one of our available positions.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Greetings,

I come in peace.

Eugh, instant association:

icomeinpeace.GIF

What This Thread will cover:
  • Bugs / Missing Features
Big item. Forum search. Especially case sensitivity. Bad enough to search twice for "m1015" vs "M1015", but if you have something like "SuperMicro" the case options become complicated. It is hard to expect someone to do research on the forum if it isn't easily searchable, and expecting them to know Google-fu search tricks is perhaps not the best thing to fall back on.

J

James

Eugh, instant association:

View attachment 2296

Big item. Forum search. Especially case sensitivity. Bad enough to search twice for "m1015" vs "M1015", but if you have something like "SuperMicro" the case options become complicated. It is hard to expect someone to do research on the forum if it isn't easily searchable, and expecting them to know Google-fu search tricks is perhaps not the best thing to fall back on.

Let me know if this video helps, or doesn't address your issue accurately:
http://screencast.com/t/zJ4UDkLq

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You get the same set of results for "m1015" and "M1015"?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
so, how about that TapaTalk integration so I can browse from work easier? ;)

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Android JB 4.1.2 => Working flawlessly !!

gpsguy

Thank you very much!

Im testing tapatalk out on my iPhone right now.

I know HolyK had plans to implement it, but I'm glad to see that it's finally available.

paleoN

Wizard
A button for each thread to take you to the latest unread post or last post at the least.

What's with the IP info for each post? Personally, I would prefer that not even the moderators would see it and yes I realize the server knows it.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
A button for each thread to take you to the latest unread post or last post at the least.

What's with the IP info for each post? Personally, I would prefer that not even the moderators would see it and yes I realize the server knows it.

Click on the little dot:
j1q0hJO.png

paleoN

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.