Network Interfaces Frustration

Mrfix71

Dabbler
Greetings
This seems like it falls under the installation category and apologies if I am mis-categorizing in my frustration. Setting up a couple of servers to stream all of my entertainment media, along with goals of consolidating and digitizing all of the old family home movies from VHS onto the existing storage I have been using for a few years now. Currently have an Plex running on an R-420 and using it as the model to set up my (upgraded) R620. If this works out like I hope, going to invest money in more current and more capable hardware.

However, I have been reading thru forums and fighting the R620's network settings for days now, repeatedly losing all the settings/pools/etc trying to aggregate ports and improve streaming performance. What I am trying to do seems like it should be fairly basic. As of now, I have access to the GUI dashboard thru one of the slower port IP and am hesitant to change any network settings till I get better informed. Every time I make a change to an interface, either on the server of the switch side, I end up spending hours trying regain access to the GUI on a PC. I do have a monitor connected to the server, but cannot access the listed interfaces on the console menu, even after countless configuration attempts. The R-620 server has the original 4-port NIC as well as a 2 port 10gb card I recently added. Like R420, the R620 is connected to a Netgear FS728 switch then to the ISP router. The 10gb ports are connected to the 10gb ports on the switch with the other ports lugged into the slower ports. I have tried trunking/aggregating ports when I have managed to get GUI access and thru the console setup menu without success nor while modifying settings in the switch menu.

Every MAC address on my network are assigned static IPs thru the ISP router, which is handling DHCP duties. I've tried various things I have read in the forums if it seemed applicable but missing something.

1695614170696.png
1695614253333.png

1695614493021.png

Davvo

MVP
I'm not clear what you are trying to achieve, can you explicate?

Also, what kind of 10Gbs card are you using?

You can always save you configuration file and import it back when needed to restore, improving your trial and error approach.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If your switch supports LACP you can bundle e.g. the two 10 G interfaces. It does not make sense to also bundle the four 1 G interfaces.
If your switch does not support LACP, you can only use one interface.

See:

Last edited:

Arwen

MVP
Every MAC address on my network are assigned static IPs thru the ISP router, which is handling DHCP duties. I've tried various things I have read in the forums if it seemed applicable but missing something.
If I understand you correctly, you are trying to use more than one NIC with DHCP. As far as I know, this does not work on TrueNAS.

Try setting static IPs on all TrueNAS server ports, (and of course, in different sub-nets).

One configuration could be to use the 10Gbps Ethernet ports in an aggregate, using a "production" sub-net. Then use a 1Gbps Ethernet port in a different "management" sub-net. If you have trouble with your aggregate / LACP, you can still get to the management GUI on TrueNAS through the management sub-net IP.

Mrfix71

Dabbler
Just bought a morale patch this weekend that states "Wait. Let Me Overthink This". If I had a dollar every time I was guilty of that... LOL

Anyway, since my streaming Plex on the R420 server tends to stall or something on occasion, my thought was to take advantage of resources on hand and bundle the ports together to improve streaming data on the R620. I confirmed both of my Netgear switches support LACP and tried following instructions I found in other forum posts. The 10gb ports I'm using are all RJ45 and I have not tried to use any of the SFF ports.

So, I do not gain anything significant related to data streaming by simply bundling/aggregating the ports and should focus more on subnet. That makes sense as everything on my network is static assigned, with unique last three digit host#. That simple structure has worked for years with typical home devices, but rapidly getting bigger with my extensive security camera system archives, and plans to host archived home movie footage for rest of family to view.