SOLVED Network problem cannot access GUI

Nihilist

Dabbler
After a long time not using my NAS, I try to enable « wake on lan » without success because apparently, this feature is not present on my motherboard's bios. I far as I know, I revert all the changes I made at the time.

Then I noticed that I could not use the samba share, nor connect to the GUI.
I updated from 13.0-U4 to the latest version (13.0-U6) but was unable to configure the network correctly.
Either :
- using the « console setup » - option 1- I can set an static IP (192.168.1.101) on the 1st network interface (two ethernet ports available – details at the end of this post), the message :
Code:
The web user interface is at :
http://192.168.1.101
https://192.168.1.101

« ifconfig » command displays the right IPv4, from my ISP gateway TrueNAS appears but this information is far from reliable as when I shutdown the NAS, the device is still showing...
On the other hand, from my Windows machine, I cannot ping this IP nor access the GUI

- using the « console setup » - option 1 – if I « delete the interface » then « remove the current settings » to enable DHCP and skip IPv6, then I’m prompted with the messages
Code:
 Restarting network : Failed
Restarting routing : Failed
The web Interface could not be accessed.
Please check network configuration

Needless to say that I can’t do anything in that state.

I tried to revert to TrueNAS-13.0-U4 with the same behavior.
ISP and related hardware didn’t change, I’m using a Netgear GS105E at the time to be able to switch from NAS to PC (only one screen – PC using DP, NAS using HDMI).

My full network is quite simple :
ISP Gateway <----> Switch Netgear <--------> PC + NAS
I read a dozen of threads on this forum, some shows similarities but nothing worked for me.

Motherboard : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi
CPU : Core i3 2120
RAM :2 x 8Go DDR3
System disk : SSD NVMe Crucial on PCIe adapter
Data disk : 4 x 3To

Nihilist

Dabbler
Forget to mention that any help will be greatly appreciated.
PS : Not a native English speaker, please don't be to harsh ;)

Nihilist

Dabbler
Just confirmed that the 2 ethernet ports are Realtek, does my problem coming from this as suggested almost everywhere on this forum ?
Considering my configuration worked flawlessly for half a decade I'm skeptical even if it's still a possibility.

Nihilist

Dabbler
Also, just realized that "configure interface for DHCP?" means "use this interface as DHCP server" not "ask for IP from a DHCP server on the domain".
Considering that, I went back to tinkering with the "Console Setup" but faces a new strange behavior :
trueNAS_ipv4.png

I cannot set a static IP and cannot quit the menu...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Also, just realized that "configure interface for DHCP?" means "use this interface as DHCP server"
No, it does not.
Considering that, I went back to tinkering with the "Console Setup" but faces a new strange behavior :
You're being asked yes [y] or no [n], just like the previous question. You probably want to answer with [y].

Nihilist

Dabbler
-_- that's the problem when you spend too much time on something, you cannot see the obvious any more.
Thanks for pointing this.
So, went back to square one when the console says "The web user interface is at : http(s)://192.168.1.102" (really 102 not 101 like my 1st try).
trueNAS_ipv4_102.png

But, I cannot ping it and my browser says "connection has timed out".
trueNAS_ping.png

(192.168.1.10 is my Windows machine)
Port (80 and 443) on the NAS side are not listening :
trueNAS_tcpclient.png

Nihilist

Dabbler
I found an old FreeNAS iso (FreeNAS-11.2-U5), reinstall it with no problem but at restart, it stuck displaying "Consoles: EFI console".
FreeNAS_11.jpg

I've got some configuration backup at different point point in time with different version if Free/TrueNAS.
Is there a way to look inside to find out on which version they were used with ? (should have noted this in backup name)
trueNAS_backup.png

Thanks again.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Try clearing ARP on your Windows machine: arp -d *.

Nihilist

Dabbler
Reinstalled "TrueNAS-13.0-U4", configured "re1" IPv4 with 192.168.1.101.
Reset APR table in Windows as mentioned above.
trueNAS_arp_reset.png

Ping and telnet failed :(
The thing I don't understand is that my ISP box does not provide the NAS an IP. I double-checked and there is no MAC exclusion.
The only thing that can explain this situation is that my switch is somehow blocking the NAS to access the rest of my network (contacting the ISP box and get pinged by my Windows PC).
Will follow that trail next...

Redcoat

MVP
Please post a screenshot of Network>Global Configuration.

Nihilist

Dabbler
Please post a screenshot of Network>Global Configuration.
Feel like something only available in the web GUI, which I can't access. Is it ?

Did another test : set static IP (192.168.1.101/24) on "re0" NIC on the NAS side, connect Windows PC and NAS directly with ethernet cable.
No ping, no web GUI.
Deleted configuration from "re0", configured "re1" with 192.168.1.101/24. Again, no ping, no web GUI.
The ping command responded with :
TrueNAS_re1_failure.png

2 questions :
- do I need a real crossover ethernet cable to connect directly to the NAS ? (Windows platform is less that a year old - AM5 platform with Intel NIC - Auto-MDIX should be integrated then)
- does the response in the screenshot above mean both my NIC on the NAS side are dead ?

Nihilist

Dabbler
More tests, with Nmap which says that "0 host up" :
TrueNAS_nmap_direct.png

On Windows side, tried cleaning DNS (ipconfig /flushdns), cleaning ARP (arp -d *), reset TCP/IP ("netsh i i r r" and "netsh winsock reset").
Ping from NAS to Windows lost all packet.
Ping from Windows to NAS says "Destination host unreachable / Request timed out"

Should I redo the same tests with crossover thernet cable or consider my hardware broken, call it a day and search for a way to recover my data ?
Thanks again and again for any intel on the subject...

Redcoat

MVP
Feel like something only available in the web GUI, which I can't access. Is it ?
Yes, my suggestion was dumb - sorry., brain fart!

You should not need a crossover cable these days. Do you know that the cable from the switch to the NAS is good. Do you have link lights on the ports at both ends of the cable?

Nihilist

Dabbler
It blinks briefly after plugin in (right light - left light always "on"), after 5 or 10 seconds, no more light no more blinking.

Redcoat

MVP
That's at port at each end - switch and NAS?

Copy and paste from Oracle Docs:
"Each RJ45 Ethernet port has two LEDs. The left LED is green and lights to show that a link has been established. It blinks off randomly whenever there is network activity on that port. On the RJ-45 connectors, the right LED is bi-color (amber and green) and indicates the speed of connection by the color it displays."

Have you tried other ports on your switch?

Nihilist

Dabbler
The observations about the color of the ethernet port was with direct connection between Windows PC and NAS.
I'm using right now the port and the ethernet cable that were dedicated to the NAS before, so I'm positive the switch and cable are working properly.

Nihilist

Dabbler
I make a live-USB with UNRAID, it boot from USB with no problem, display GUI on "http://192.168.1.12"... I don't understand why TrueNAS can't do the same considering I made a fresh install (with 3 different versions).

Redcoat

MVP
I think it's time to go back to the BIOS boot options in your MB BIOS - UEFI is expected - then make a fresh install.

Nihilist

Dabbler
Made a fresh install of 13.0-U4 onto USB stick (like initially, 4 years ago).
Carefully selected UEFI every time the options was showing. Manually configure IPv4 (192.168.1.101).
And still, no ping, no GUI.
Here is the ifconfig result, is there nothing wrong with this (i'm sure there is but I'm not really savvy about network) :
trueNAS_13-U4_fromUSB.jpg

Also, tried a "netstat" to see if port 80 was listening :
trueNAS_13-U4_fromUSB_netstat.jpg

the result is...disconcerting.