SOLVED Mounting Failed with Error 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

helgur

Cadet
I've also encountered the same problem with Freenas 9.2, being a long time Freenas 8 user, today I tried to upgrade but stumbled into this roadblock. I'm using a HP Microserver which uses USB 2.0, I've tried a lot of different procedures including changing my settings pr. suggestions ITT. Freenas 8 had no problems booting from my USB stick, the latest release won't. I've even out of pure desperation tried to set the kernel boot option xhci_load to yes even though I am pretty certain my USB interface still runs on the good old 2.0

Any suggestions from anyone would offcourse be greatly appreciated to say the least

Edit: Don't understand why this has been set to solved, if there is a solution anywhere to this problem, it's not laid out in this thread :/

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hi ,i can confirm the problem is not solved.
I try install FREENAS Version 9.2.0 on a Supermicro System SuperServer 5017A-EF on USB 2.0 Port with a USB Stick (SanDisk CRUZER FIT 16GB)
http://www.supermicro.nl/products/system/1U/5017/SYS-5017A-EF.cfm
Result: Error 19

Any Idea?

Regards Klaus

Hate to bust your chops on this one, but FreeBSD isn't listed as officially supported by Supermicro. In fact, the only OSes listed are Windows Server 2008, 2008 R2 and 2012. So you may have a problem in that its not meant to be compatible.

FFBKSCHULZ

Cadet
Now, i have installed FreeBSD 10.0RC 5 and its works fine.
May be i must wait eventually for FreeNas 10 :-(

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sorry, but just installing it doesn't mean "compatible" in my book. Use it as a file server for a few weeks, in all of the same waysas you are using your FreeNAS server. Then, you could argue it's compatible.

FFBKSCHULZ

Cadet
Sorry but i can not understand you!
FreeNas is based on FreeBDS or not?
When FreeBSD 10 my hardware supported,it is possible that FreeNAS 10 it also supported.

olly86

Dabbler
I have a HP ProLiant N40L Microserver which is throwing error 19 on boot after being upgraded to 9.2. I've tried changing the Bios settings mentioned above and updating the Bios to the latest version however neither worked.

I tried two USB flash drives (both 8GB) a Kingston DataTraveler and a SanDisk which both reported error 19. As a final test I tried an 8GB Micro SD card in a USB to Micro SD reader which booted fine, is this setup supported? If it's not can you recommend a USB flash drive that's working for you?

Abel408

Dabbler
Many people will find this exact problem using a Kingston G2 or G3 usb drive. See this Revision: https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/f...7336131a73fe9c20f/diff/sys/cam/scsi/scsi_da.c

Also, please see this topic: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/fa.freebsd.current/2-YkuLjWZIg

The revision was added for the g3 usb drives, but not the G2's.

With that said, I have a G2 that I tried upgrading via gui. I now get this same exact error from every machine I try to plug the usb drive into. My question is, is there any way I can edit the sys/cam/scsi/scsi_da.c file to add this quirk for the G2 usb drive? Can I mount it from a working freebsd install? I tried this upgrade without saving my most recent setting (I know, very stupid) and would like to get this working.

EDIT: I ended up dding the image to another usb drive. Had a few problems with some of my drives becoming multipath discs, but once I destroyed those, the arrays came back up OK.

I also got error 19 from a flash drive that wasn't completely erased. Some flash drives will have a gpt partition at the end and FreeBSD does not like that. If you get the error that the first gpt table is corrupt before you get error 19, this is why. Make sure you erase your drive completly (dd of=/dev/zero) before installing freenas. Or you can try this solution: http://forums.freenas.org/threads/freenas-8-3-0-root-mount-error.10270/

Raymond Matos

Explorer
Hello, I have a Supermicro MBD-X10SAE with the same issue error 19.

I have already tried disabling xHCI in bios. Anything else you recommend?

panz

Guru
Hello, I have a Supermicro MBD-X10SAE with the same issue error 19.

I have already tried disabling xHCI in bios. Anything else you recommend?

Did you try (thanks to Dusan who solved my problem by suggesting this solution)?

At boot prompt "Welcome to FreeNAS"

press immediately [Esc]

then type these commands:

Code:
unload xhci

press [RETURN] after; and

Code:
disable-module xhci

press [RETURN] after; and

Code:
boot

press [RETURN] after.

If FreeNAS boots OK, then create an xhci_load="no" tunable (System->Tunables).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
XHCI is disabled by default in 9.2.0+.

Raymond Matos

Explorer
Yep, got it working. It was a bad USB drive.

For reference - Had to turn off XHCI in the MB bios.

chief_banana

Cadet
Also receiving the error 19 message when booting from USB.
FreeNAS 9.2.1.5
Supermicro X9SCM-iiF, Xeon E3-1230V2, 16 GB Kingston ECC, 6x WD Red drives on SATA, 1x Kingston Datatraveller 8GB USB

This motherboard does not have USB3, nor any XHCI settings in the BIOS to disable. The system was built specifically to run FreeNAS, so I'd be overjoyed to hear of a solution. I'd boot off something other than USB, but I'm fresh out of SATA ports.

Abel408

Dabbler
Also receiving the error 19 message when booting from USB.
FreeNAS 9.2.1.5
Supermicro X9SCM-iiF, Xeon E3-1230V2, 16 GB Kingston ECC, 6x WD Red drives on SATA, 1x Kingston Datatraveller 8GB USB

This motherboard does not have USB3, nor any XHCI settings in the BIOS to disable. The system was built specifically to run FreeNAS, so I'd be overjoyed to hear of a solution. I'd boot off something other than USB, but I'm fresh out of SATA ports.

Try a different USB drive. The Datatravellers have issues with FreeBSD.

crypt0

Cadet
Error 19 here as well.

System is a Gigabyte Z77x-UDH3, running a i5-3750K CPU.
I'm trying to install it to a SATA-connected 64GB Sandisk SSD.

Error 19 on cold boot immediately after installation.

I have tried disabling XHCI, XHCI handoff, and USB3 as well.

No idea whats going on here, all the fixes I see seem to related to USB-attached thumbdrives.

gpsguy

crypt0, have you tried installing it on a flash drive (as recommended) and seeing if that works? are there any bios updates you can apply.

is your ssd connected to SATA or mSATA? if mSATA, the "SATA2 5 connector will become unavailable when the mSATA connector is installed with a solid state drive."

btw - neither your motherboard, nor cpu support ecc ram, which is strongly recommended for zfs on freenas.

crypt0

Cadet
In order: Yes, installing off a USB flash drive works, but USB2 flash takes an unacceptably long time to boot up compared to a SATA SSD. And this SATA has been running great with Linux for months, it *should* work. I did a test install of FBSD and *that* works. The fact FreeNAS doesnt indicates to me that the problem lies there.

It is connected to a real SATA port.

Re: ECC: Pfffffffft. Yes, if this were a production server that someone else were paying for, sure. This is my home storage server, and I neither want, need, nor can afford to deploy ECC there. I managed to run FreeNAS 7.x on my older iteration of non-ECC hardware for years without everything exploding, so I'll maintain my backups and not triple my costs with ECC. I appreciate the concern though ;)

crypt0, have you tried installing it on a flash drive (as recommended) and seeing if that works? are there any bios updates you can apply.

is your ssd connected to SATA or mSATA? if mSATA, the "SATA2 5 connector will become unavailable when the mSATA connector is installed with a solid state drive."

btw - neither your motherboard, nor cpu support ecc ram, which is strongly recommended for zfs on freenas.

Zohaib

Dabbler
Hi all,

I am facing the same issue. I installed FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 on Dell PowerEdge r720XD but after first boot Same error 19 and unable to start. I already updated Server BIOS. Can anyone update how to solve this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.