SOLVED Mounting Failed with Error 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visseroth

Guru
I was actually getting the same error on a SATA drive as a boot device. But it may be that my device is old enough that it doesn't like GPT partitions. I plan to upgrade soon as this system only supports 2TB drives and I'm wanting to move to 4+TB drives plus my drives are aging.

Thank you for the posts back guys. This information will be extremely helpful not only to myself but many others that run into the same problem.

Marc Becker

Cadet
Why did you go back from 9.3? I am getting the same system tomorrow, but would like to install 9.3 on it. Did you experience problems?
I didn't manage to import my encrypted volume created with 9.2. But this is off-topic, try 9.3!

clarkmercer

Cadet
ahh... finally! Struggled with this for so long before I found my solution:
Problem was I tried to install 9.3 on what turned out to be incompatible hardware (hp envy 700 - i7-4770). I then tried to reformat that *same* flash drive back to 9.2.1.9.
The problem was that the 9.3 image was gpt and 9.2 needs mbr (i guess).
So I:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk2
then:
sudo dd if=FreeNAS-9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x64.img of=/dev/disk2 bs=64k

problem solved! hope this helped someone.

BigB

Explorer
I'm getting the same error. I just built a ASRock E3c226D2I with 16GB of ecc ram and 4x WD 4TB. I used Imagewriter to burn the 9.3 ISO to a USB Adata 16GB USB 3.0 and put another identical USB into the MB slot. After booting up I eventually get error 19. I try to boot the 9.3 USB on my windows computer to install onto the other 16 GB USB but got the same error. I decided to try my Sandisk USB 2.0 2GB stick which had 9.2.1.9 on it and the ASRock boots up fine. Is this a problem with Adata USB sticks or something wrong with 9.3?

BloodyIron

Contributor
THANK YOU, needed this for pfSense

SOLUTION

Only run FreeNAS from a disk with MBR (master boot record) partition map scheme.

It goes wrong it you use a GPT (GUID partition table) scheme. It will boot, but then fail later with the "error 19".

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

BloodyIron

Contributor
lol, I posted a reply so others can see that this info is applicable to other freebsd based stuff. I had no luck yesterday booting from a USB stick to install pfSense, turns out it was because the USB stick had inadvertently been setup with GPT instead of MBR. Setting it to MBR fixed it and got me rolling! Hence me posting to thank them for the info :D

???

FreeNAS boot devices have been exclusively GPT since 9.3.

Chromix

Cadet
Tried to upgrade from 9.10 to 9.10.1 and had this error as well.

No xHCI option in the BIOS, tried 3 different USB sticks without success.

My solution: Instead of Rufus that I used to write the image to the USB stick, I used Win32DiskImager and the system booted up and applied the upgrade without problems.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No xHCI option in the BIOS
It would have nothing to do with the problem, since there are no major OS changes in the whole 9.10 series.

daddo6868

Cadet
My solution: Instead of Rufus that I used to write the image to the USB stick, I used Win32DiskImager and the system booted up and applied the upgrade without problems.

This worked for me, too.

xymantec

Cadet
FYI This can also happen with a bad USB stick, in my case, it was a bad 8GB Sandisk Cruizer, I happened to have a second one on hand, installed, and FreeNAS booted with no problems.

I tried 9.3 install for the first time on a HPE Proliant ML10 Gen9 server with ECC-RAM and Intel G4400. Burnt with win32diskimager on a 4GB and 16GB stick in an extern and intern USB2 port. Keyboard at USB2 Port works well. in every config. mountroot....................... error 19. I have not tried to install from CD. No option to disable xHCI in BIOS. As i know that is real serverhardware and not a PC-Mobo. So why i have this problem and how to solve?

Thanks in advance

Chromix

Cadet
Did you already try another version? Maybe 9.10.x.

Yes, for 1 time i tried 9.10.2, but it seems that it was not bootable. Actually i'm working on a second try.
Thanks for your response

9.10.2 on a 32GB-Stick is not bootable because its not as bootable detected. So my last try would be with 9.3 on a DVD .

Ok , with a DVD instead of USB it works. But only up to the stage with question Update/Installation. At this point the Keyboard failed. Up to this point it was working properly. Maybee Freenas hasn't driver for USB-Keyboard at this stage?
If it hasn't , than the install is impossible becaus the HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Server doesn't has PS2. Every modern equipment has USB for Keyboard.
And Freenas???
Has this to be the end of my Freenas dreams?

During boot comes this message up: "init: initial setside () failed". What does it mean?

Last edited:

emk2203

Guru
I get FreeNAS 9.10.2 to run on two older HP Microservers, 32 GB USB-sticks, USB keyboard and everything. It's most certainly your specific problem, not the problem of FreeNAS. Try other USB ports, other USB sticks?

Thanks for your response,
I tried 3 USB-Sticks with a capacity of 8, 16 and 32 GB on all USB2 ports. Doesn't work. Afterwords i tried with DVD and the booting went up to the first coloured sreen where you have the choice for install or upgrade. At this stage their was no keyboard- and mouseaction possible or has no function. Omly STRG+ALT+DEL works and forces a reboot with the same problem at the same stage.
Intel G4400
12GB RAM
only DVD and one SSD at SATA 0 and 1 connected
No PS2 port, no possibility in BIOS to disable XHCI

beltet

Dabbler
Tried to upgrade from 9.10 to 9.10.1 and had this error as well.

No xHCI option in the BIOS, tried 3 different USB sticks without success.

Worked for me aswell, I saw that when I installed with rufus not all partitions came with it, I only had one.
With Win32 the disk had I think 3 partitions.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
When trying to use Rufus, it is absolutely necessary to set Create a bootable disk using to DD Image.

Status
Not open for further replies.