SOLVED Mounting Failed with Error 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zohaib

Dabbler
Hi guyz,

As i was facing same issue error 19, but today i was trying to install on USB after installtion on USB drive unable to boot from it due to some Dell issues with USB booting (remember: i already installed FreeNAS on my HDD (but was getting error 19) and Now Installed on USB as well (but that is not booting)). I reboot my Server then successfully boot without any error from my HDD but if i remove USB and then try to boot it again stuck on error 19.

Why FreeNAS showing this behavior and what should i do, go with this HDD USB combo solution or keep searching about error 19??

tl;dr 1TB disk fails, 150GB disk wins

I experienced this problem with FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 running on a MacPro 5,1.

This hardware has issues booting off USB, so I ddd the USB image to a 1TB spinning platter disk. Fail.

On retrying with a 150GB spinning platter, Win.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

This hardware has issues booting off USB, so I ddd the USB image to a 1TB spinning platter disk. Fail.

dd'ing the boot drive is known to not work consistently, for some mysterious reason.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hrmm... what is the alternative?

Citation?

The alternative? Backing up the configuration and restoring it on a clean install.

If you search the forum, you'll see the issue pops up every now and then.

The alternative? Backing up the configuration and restoring it on a clean install.

If you search the forum, you'll see the issue pops up every now and then.

That's cool... this is a new NAS I'm building.

I'll try installing to that drive from FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64.iso, rather than dding FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64.img.xz

Thanks!

gpsguy

Why would you even try to install it on a 1Tb drive? FreeNAS only occupies ~2Gb of space and the rest of the hard disk isn't usable for anything else. If you need to install it on a hard disk - find a small one.

Why would you even try to install it on a 1Tb drive? FreeNAS only occupies ~2Gb of space and the rest of the hard disk isn't usable for anything else. If you need to install it on a hard disk - find a small one.

I needed a SATA disk for the FreeNAS OS, due to the MacPro 5,1 USB stick boot probs - I don't have anything spare, less than 5 years old, that is less than this size!

This is a new NAS - I will probably just end up using the (newish) 128GB SSD that currently houses OS X on the machine, once I'm happy with the build.

SOLUTION

Only run FreeNAS from a disk with MBR (master boot record) partition map scheme.

It goes wrong it you use a GPT (GUID partition table) scheme. It will boot, but then fail later with the "error 19".

chief_banana

Cadet
I have now built a 2nd FreeNAS system, this time on an X10SL7-F. Had the error 19 message again, and lo and behold, it was again the USB drive.
Therefore, for the record let me state the names of the good and bad drives in question.

My incompatible drives were:
Kingston Datatraveler DTSE9 8GB (bought for the purpose)
Silicon Power Ultima U03 White 8GB (bought for the purpose)

And my compatible drives were:
ATP Toughdrive 4 GB (sacrificed in lieu)
Connectpro (Futureshop brand) black plastic slider 16 GB (sacrificed in lieu)

...figures.

devz3ro

Cadet
SOLUTION

Only run FreeNAS from a disk with MBR (master boot record) partition map scheme.

It goes wrong it you use a GPT (GUID partition table) scheme. It will boot, but then fail later with the "error 19".
To elaborate on this, because it's not really clear what he's trying to say:

This means that the USB drive you are trying to boot from has an existing GPT scheme. You may think it's gone because you used something to write the .img file onto your USB stick, but it's not. GPT gets written to the beginning few sectors of the disk *AND* the last few sectors. What seems to be happening is that people are using 4gb+ USB flash drives and using a tool like win32imager to write the 2GB freenas image to it. Upon booting up the Freenas distribution is getting confused because the partition at the end of the drive still exists and it doesn't know what to do with it.

How to get around this is to zero out the entire drive: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/yourdisk. Or do a format (non quick) of your flash drive so the entire thing is wiped out.

Then put your image back on the USB drive, boot, profit.

tmacka88

Patron

This means that the USB drive you are trying to boot from has an existing GPT scheme. You may think it's gone because you used something to write the .img file onto your USB stick, but it's not. GPT gets written to the beginning few sectors of the disk *AND* the last few sectors. What seems to be happening is that people are using 4gb+ USB flash drives and using a tool like win32imager to write the 2GB freenas image to it. Upon booting up the Freenas distribution is getting confused because the partition at the end of the drive still exists and it doesn't know what to do with it.

How to get around this is to zero out the entire drive: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/yourdisk. Or do a format (non quick) of your flash drive so the entire thing is wiped out.

Hi,

I have been getting this same problem, however, I install using a CD not a USB. I load it onto a SSD and get the same problem. First SSD had been zeroed and the second was a different brand SSD (not zeroed).

I have been running freenas since version 8 and haven't really come across this to many times before. Cant remember but recently I did a clean install and nothing and now I am getting this when installing 9.2.1.7.

I use Toast program (Mac OS X) to burn the iso cd. Have been doing this since version 8.

Any ideas here?

cheers

Karl J

Cadet
Well I was fighting this exact problem for two days with FreeNAS 9.2.1.7 on an SSD with a Z87-Pro MB (i5). From what I found through trial and error, the Z87-Pro has two SATA controllers on-board. First has room for 2x drives (supposedly boot and DVD etc.) while the 2nd has room for 6x drives in either raid or non-raid configuration. (I always had the MB raid functions turned off.)

So for some reason FreeNAS didn't seem to like the first on-board (2x) SATA controller. The second one (6x) seems ok. I disabled the first one and just used a usb stick and there was no issue. I'll update this post later with some further tests. I'll try the SSD on the 2nd controller or even an add-in card at a later date. (The system is racked so I have to unrack before making internal changes.)

Hope this is helpful for some people.

Config:
FreeNAS 9.1.2.7
z87-Pro
Intel i5
32GB DDR3
6x 4TB WD Red RAIDz

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
This is not uncommon. Whenever the board has more sata ports than would be normal with the standard chipset, there's always a second controller. 9 times out of 10, that second controller will be a different manufacturer, and 6 times out of 10 it will be something not supported in the driver set.

So it's not uncommon for the situation you describe to happen.

For those that hit this from a VirtualBox VM, I had this issue come up with the IDE controller set to ICH6. Changing it to PIIX4 fixes the problem. Haven't looked at my physical box yet to see if I'm going to hit a problem there. I'm testing on VB first so I can get used to FreeNAS.

Jeren

Dabbler
Ran into a similar issue:

Running installer off USB 3.0 drive plugged into USB 3.0 port
Booted 2 times ok, then failed after I accidentally performed a hard shutdown

Moved the 3.0 stick to a 2.0 port, DID NOT CHANGE XHCI SETTINGS, then booted up fine.

Before trying different sticks, just try moving it to a different port.

Visseroth

Guru
Definitely not solved for me. I just found this post because I'm having the exact same error.
SuperMicro X7DBN
16GB of RAM
12X2TB Seagates
SAT2-MV8 8 port SAS card

I don't have USB3, I wasn't using a USB 3 flash in a USB 2 port. I was using a Compact Flash in a IDE port. After updating from 9.2 to 9.3 I had a black screen with a blinking cursor so I tried to roll it back to 9.2 with a install/upgrade disc via a USB 2 CD ROM.
Error 19
I tried pulling all but 4 GB of RAM
Error 19
Ran a wipe on the CF card
Error 19
Tried installing FreeNAS 9.3
Black screen with blinking cursor
After this I was no longer able to access my CF card. Seems it died after multiple attempts to reinstall that are not listed here.
I tried pulling the SAT2-MV8 card, clearing the CMOS settings and installing to a SATA laptop hard drive via SATA port 0 on the MB
Error 19
I'm at a loss here, my server has been working fine for YEARS and now all of a sudden I'm unable to boot anymore and everything seems to point to something that is not available on my server?
Any ideas, suggestions? Anything?
I've even pulled all my drives to be sure that they aren't causing any errors

Marc Becker

Cadet

I just would like to repeat this post since it helped also in my case.
Today i ran into "error 19" and tried different 9.2.x versions without success regardless of the used image type (.img, .iso, .usb).
Reason: i installed freenas 9.3 before which uses GPT!
In my case, a quick format with Fat32 under windows 8.1 followed by writing the freenas image (.img) with win32image to USB stick solved the problem.
However, i recommend doing a complete format of the boot medium as suggested by devz3ro to be on the safe side.
After that, freenas installed fine and boots independent of soft reset, hard reset and also with fast boot enabled in the bios.
My system: HP microserver N54L with modified bios, Sandisk Cruzer Fit 16GB connected to USB2 on mainboard.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
@Visseroth,

It's possible the X7DBN won't let you boot GPT from the IDE controller. In fact, I'd be a but surprised if it did. GPT was meant to solve a lot of limitations, one of which was booting from >2TB drives as a single partition. Unfortunately I'm not sure if anyone really spent time making GPT work on IDE controllers because, for the most part, IDE was long abandoned before 2TB drives were popular. Even in 2006 I had 250GB SATA drives, and I wasn't even jumping into SATA at that time for performance. It was just the standard drives that were available at CompUSA at the time. Whoa... mentioning CompUSA makes me feel so old now.

I think you're either going to have to stick with 9.2.1.9 or find another method for booting from 9.3+. My first recommendation would be USB as I'd expect that to have the highest success rate for your situation.

Keep in mind that 9.3 has a pretty strict 8GB of RAM minimum. If you don't have enough you can expect FreeNAS to be very disfunctional. I've seen people unable to use the automated updater in the WebGUI because they didn't have enough RAM and unable to create any jails or plugins because of insufficient RAM. Considering your board's age you may or may not want to look at building a newer system before migrating to 9.3 anyway.

emk2203

Guru
Today i ran into "error 19" and tried different 9.2.x versions without success regardless of the used image type (.img, .iso, .usb).
Reason: i installed freenas 9.3 before which uses GPT!
Why did you go back from 9.3? I am getting the same system tomorrow, but would like to install 9.3 on it. Did you experience problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.