Mounting failed with error 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgp1994

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I'm yet another user victim to the error 19 issue when I try to install FreeNas. What sets me apart from most here, though, is that I'm trying to install from a plain old CD-RW, not a USB 3 stick.

The console reads:

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0.uzip [ro]...
mountroot: waiting for device /dev/md0.uzip ...
Mounting from ufs:/dev/md0.uzip failed with error 19.
md0 attached to /data/base.ufs.uzip

And it loops on forever like that. If I try to boot from a USB (2.0) stick, the problem is even worse: It won't get past the boot loader, claiming it cannot find /boot/kernel/kernel. My only options for emulating USB devices in the BIOS is ZIP or FDD, so that may be a problem...

The motherboard is actually pretty old, but I was hoping I could breath some extra life into this system. Does anyone know how I can get this installed?

tgp1994

Cadet
I thought that was more of a suggestion than a requirement... I have way less than that (1GB), so I wasn't planning on using ZFS. Am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

gpsguy

Yes.

Even with UFS, the requirement is 2Gb RAM. But support for UFS will be deprecated in the near future.

You might want to look at NAS4Free. Go to nas4free.org for more information about it.

Am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

tgp1994

Cadet
Shoot... I guess I'm not serious enough for FreeNAS right now. Thanks for the alternate suggestion!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You might try turnkeylinux file server (just google it). It's a basic, Debian-based, ready-to-go file server, for free. It'll work on what you have.

tgp1994

Cadet
You might try turnkeylinux file server (just google it). It's a basic, Debian-based, ready-to-go file server, for free. It'll work on what you have.

Excellent, thank you for another suggestion :) RAID is my goal here (since I've already purchased four HDDs), and looking up TurnKeyLinux and the file server flavor, I can't tell if they have as nice a support for managing RAID arrays... Although, I haven't even had a chance to install Nas4Free yet. I've been running into the same problem as FreeNAS where it won't boot off of a USB drive properly, although I have yet to try a CD.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your RAM is going to seriously limit the number of current OSes you can use. Current OSes require current hardware. ;)

Even NAS4Free isn't going to work because I think it requires 2GB of RAM minimum.

tgp1994

Cadet
Your RAM is going to seriously limit the number of current OSes you can use. Current OSes require current hardware. ;)

Even NAS4Free isn't going to work because I think it requires 2GB of RAM minimum.

Right, even my cellphone might have more than what my future NAS has :p I was reading through Nas4Free's docs, and I seem to recall seeing 512MB being the bare min, while 1GB or more is recommended... After I burned it to a CD, the installation was flawless, so far so good. I'll just need to wait for my RAID card (hopefully coming today) and I can really test this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.