Booting from USB -- Error 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundsta

Dabbler
I put together a new NAS build today, and when I try to boot from USB (FreeNAS 9.2 x64) I get an error:

GEOM_PART: integrity check failed (da0, MBR)
Mountingfrom ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a failed with error 19.

I have also tried mounting the USB in a FreeBSD VM and I have a similar error (see attached picture).

I have tried all 3 USB drives that I have lying around, none of them seem to work. The USBs were created on linux with the following command

xzcat FreeNAS*.img.xz | dd of=/dev/sdd bs=512k

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• freebsd.png
    freebsd.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 356

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Usually an I/O error means its not fit to be a bootable disk.

Are you using a name brand USB stick that is >2GB? I'm talking real USB stick and not an SD card with a converter.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You using a USB 3 port or USB 2 port? Use a different port.

joeschmuck

Old Man
List your system configuration (hardware).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sorry, but I don't consider ADATA or PNY to be name brand. I had an adata.. didn't work with FreeNAS. Avoided PNY after some issues I had with them a few years ago. Not saying they won't work, but they may not. And we definitely have to start ruling out possible causes and the USB is the easiest one to rule out.

Try a corsair voyager. That's what I've used in more than 5 machines and never had a problem.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The old Adata's use to be very good, too bad they stopped making those. I have a good one, the PD7. If you ever find one, grab it!

sundsta

Dabbler
Ironically enough, I found a really old 2gb drive that was given out for free that I've always considered to be crap because of slow read/writes but it doesn't experience the 1 sector issue. However, FreeNAS still won't boot from it, same error 19.

Sorry about not posting the hardware, meant to do that in the first post but forgot.

CPU: AMD 6600k APU
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H
RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix @ 1333Mhz

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ahh.. an AMD user. Well, if you search around its fairly well known that many AMDs just don't work quite right with FreeBSD.

sundsta

Dabbler
After experimenting a bit I put FreeBSD 10 on the 2gb USB and it booted fine, seems like I just need FreeNAS with the FreeBSD 10 kernel. Is that possible?

joeschmuck

Old Man
AMD is getting a bad wrap, they work fine in most situations, maybe it's these APUs that suck but I'm not sure but my FX CPU works perfectly. Also your RAM, how much RAM is it?

sundsta

Dabbler
The problem is not with AMD, but with the older FreeBSD kernel not supporting the newer hardware.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not sure what the actual cause of the problem is. I just see that quite regularly problems people are having with booting and such are AMD systems. Not saying it's AMD's fault or that it's FreeNAS' fault. Just that the two don't seem to hold hands and cuddle together without fighting.

sundsta

Dabbler
An update: I put FreeBSD 9.2 on the 2gb USB drive and it booted fine, so clearly this is a FreeNAS specific problem that needs to be addressed. I'm going to create a ticket.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Do you have any actual diagnostic information to provide? If you want resolution you're going to need to provide some useful info so they can actually find and fix the problem.

sundsta

Dabbler
I don't know what else I can provide. I did mention in the support ticket that when going through the boot log I see no reference to da0 or any other USB devices.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Don't get me wrong.. you are welcome to put a ticket in. I was just hoping for more info than "FreeBSD 9.2 works". I am curious about the problem because its so frequent. Nobody seems to have a clue what is wrong except "its broke". :(

sundsta

Dabbler
Like I mentioned in the previous post, I cannot find any reference to da0 in the boot log for whatever reason and I suspect that is the issue.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Are you sure your stick should come up as da0? Mine comes up as da24(since I have 24 hard drives that come up as da0 through da24) and a friend's USB stick comes up as ada0. :P

Not to discredit your observation, I'm just not sure that actually tells us anything(but I'm not sure it doesn't either).

Also, did you try to boot FreeBSD 9.2 from USB? I know some boards have problems booting from USB with FreeBSD/FreeNAS, but will boot just fine from a hard drive. Still others won't boot from FreeBSD/FreeNAS from a hard drive if the controller is set to IDE mode but will boot fine in AHCI mode. And yet, still others will boot from USB fine, but won't let you use the hard drives attached to your motherboard if they are set to IDE mode instead of AHCI mode. (This is why the FreeNAS manual says to set your controller to AHCI mode.)

Are you confused yet? Join the crowd. ;)

This kind of confusion is why I take a "more strict than normal" stance on buying hardware for FreeNAS. There's lots of exceptions all over the place. If you aren't a FreeBSD wizard you can quickly find yourself up the proverbial creek without a paddle. If you are a FreeBSD pro, you'll probably be able to come up with a solution easy and be able to solve your own problems. But, if you are a newbie it really sucks when you buy hardware and can't figure it out on your own. Troubleshooting is often non-trivial in a forum setting and it gets old when someone like me sees people having the same problems every day. I don't really want to spend my life helping them with a potentially 10+ step troubleshooting process to maybe identify the problem. Plenty of motherboards don't offer AHCI as a BIOS option, so those people then want to go looking for hacked bioses that add it, want support here.. etc etc etc. So you can see how fast a question that starts out as "my board won't boot FreeNAS" can turn into a 10 page troubleshooter... for just one user.

Status
Not open for further replies.