SOLVED Mounting Failed with Error 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xelas

Explorer
Chiming in to confirm that:
  • disabling xHCI completely (not Auto, or Manual)
  • and disabling xHCI handoff
...is sufficient for a successful boot on a Supermicro X10SL7-F with a Xeon E3-1245 v3 (Haswell) with Freenas 9.1.1. None of the 3 different makes of 8GB USB drives I have on hand and tried would boot otherwise. Newest BIOS available (1.07) is loaded.

P.S. The settings can be found in: Advanced --> Chipset Configuration -->PCH-IO Configuration on this board.

average

Cadet
HP NL36 here with latest BIOS and same problem.
Tried 5 different USB drives from 4 to 16GB and after maybe 20th imaging it suddenly started working. I booted the machine six times (cold) and it's starting without a hitch now.

Meanwhile I tried FreeBSD-9.1R and it threw USB timeouts while booting, but went through. 9.2RC2 also did boot fine.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
USB timeouts are normally because you are using a POS USB stick. At least, that's been my experiences.

skylinegtr

Cadet
I just tried 9.1.1 and still same problem to get error 19 for both CD install and upgrade from GUI. After reboot, it cannot find USB stick.

exactrawr

Dabbler
Im having this exact problem. Did anyone end up finding a fix? I am installing from a USB (have tried 3 different ones 8gb+)

It wont install/load from the USB past the mountroot> line.

Just as I was typing that last line it moved and now says "lost device" (pic included) does anyone have any support around this?

photo.JPG

D

dlavigne

What command/application are you using to burn the image to the stick?

exactrawr

Dabbler
I have tried using Win32 Disk Image Writer and attempted to use Physdiskwrite both on windows. I have been using active disk kill to wipe the disks.

EDIT: I figured out the above. Now when i get the promt to write to the usb key it asks for y/n. I type y and hit enter but nothing actually happens. cmd just exists and nothing gets written.

EDIT2: I wiped my key with Active @ Disk kill. I then wrote the .img file using dd on my mac. Still no luck the boot hangs at mountroot>

EDIT3: I gave up on the USB. I connected a CD drive and burned the 9.1.1 ISO image to a disk (using a mac to burn). I then attached a 60GB SSD and installed from the CD to the SSD. When it prompted me to remove the CD ROM and reboot I did, it still got a error 19 with mountroot>

EDIT4: Problem Solved!! I gave up on USB's compleatley. I wiped my SSD with Active Disk Kill then reformatted it to NTFS. Booted from a CD drive and installed FreeNAS onto the SSD. It took it without any bloody error 19's :)

mvo

Cadet
I was having similar problem with Intel E3-1245 V3 running on Asus P9D-E4/L motherboard.
There were actually two problems.
One - FreeNAS would not boot from the USB stick. Trying different stick or port (USB2 and USB3) had no effect. However installing the OS on the HDD let me boot and get to the menu.
Second problem was USB keyboard not working (most of the time). When I disconnected and reconnected to a different port it worked for a moment and then stopped.
So I figured the problem was USB controller.
As several people suggested I disabled XHCI in BIOS. There were two items to change: one in USB menu and one in in PCH-IO (I think).
Rebooted, got the keyboard working right away. Replaced the HDD with USB stick in boot menu and bingo! Freenas is up and running.

Xelas

Explorer
USB timeouts are normally because you are using a POS USB stick. At least, that's been my experiences.
I also tried a couple pretty high-end USB3 sticks from Kingston in both USB2 and USB3 ports. The other 3 I tried with originally are brand-name drives as well (not free throw-aways from events) that have never given me any issues elsewhere are are quite fast.
I don't think it's the drives.

Nayr1991

Cadet
I've just registered an account to jump in on this, having the same issue.

Hardware:
Haswell pentium G330
Asus p9d-x
8gb ecc ddr3
5x 2TB - 4x Seagate, 1x WD green via onboard sata headers

I originally was able to boot fine from a toshiba 8GB stick and had it running for 3 days~ but at every restart i would get the error described here.
a hard reset would fix this and it would run fine.
this morning i have been unable to boot at all from multiple USBs in multiple ports(toshiba 8GB, sandisk cruzer 8GB, apacer 16GB).

i have xhci completely disabled and am using usb2 ports.
It definitely seems like a usb controller issue, i lose keyboard functionality once i get to the mountroot point.

is there anything else i can try to help troubleshoot this? im brand new to FreeNAS/BSD but am fairly competent with unix in general.

Edited for thorough system specs

Nayr1991

Cadet
I've just registered an account to jump in on this, having the same issue.

Hardware:
Haswell pentium G330
Asus p9d-x
8gb ecc ddr3
5x 2TB - 4x Seagate, 1x WD green via onboard sata headers

I originally was able to boot fine from a toshiba 8GB stick and had it running for 3 days~ but at every restart i would get the error described here.
a hard reset would fix this and it would run fine.
this morning i have been unable to boot at all from multiple USBs in multiple ports(toshiba 8GB, sandisk cruzer 8GB, apacer 16GB).

i have xhci completely disabled and am using usb2 ports.
It definitely seems like a usb controller issue, i lose keyboard functionality once i get to the mountroot point.

is there anything else i can try to help troubleshoot this? im brand new to FreeNAS/BSD but am fairly competent with unix in general.

Edited for thorough system specs

Okay, i got it working!

after re-reading a few post above me, i realized that not only was there an Advanced>Usb Configuration> USB3.0 support + xhci hand-off, there was also an Advanced>PCH-IO>USB Configuration>XHCI Mode

after disabling this last one, it works as expected and i am able to successfully restart.
as this is the only usb device connected, im fine with leaving all usb3.0 off.
i hope this helps someone facing the same issues i had.

skylinegtr

Cadet
For my MSI E350IS-E45 APU, it doesn't have any xHCI mode~
I did disable USB3 and change different usb port and other usb flash drive. Also, trying to update from web GUI and from CD-ROM, I still got same error 19~

Still no idea why :(

silver565

Dabbler
A big thank you to everyone in this thread. I also had the same problem. Swapping USB sticks to something"better" seemed to do the trick :)

maifeld

Cadet
Here's a Me Too on this Error 19 problem. I also was able to cold boot fine but warm reset failed.
Config:
SuperMicro X10SAE with a Pentium G3220 and 8GB of Crucial ECC DDR3. It has an Intel PCH with a Lynx Point controller.
Booting FreeNAS 9.1-STABLE from an 8GB SanDisk Fit 1.26 in a USB2 port on the motherboard.

Like Nayr1991, I also had to scrounge up a PS/2 keyboard to debug this since all USB functions have failed at the mountroot> prompt.
Once I set 'XHCI Mode' and 'Handoff' to 'Disabled', everything is fine.

purduephotog

Explorer
I had the same issue on this board:
SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLL-F-O uATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 DDR3 1600
Disabled both XHCI handoff and mode in the bios, and it now boots. Will try a warm reset to see if the problem exists there.

Technoid

Cadet
Had the same issue on an ASUS P8C WS.
Had to turn of USB3 Legacy, USB xHCI hand-off, and Fastboot.
The fastboot setting skipped some needed usb initialization...

Status
Not open for further replies.