Status
Not open for further replies.

brianpmack

Cadet
Same error 19 for me

HP Microserver N36L
AMD Athlon II 1.3GHz
8GB RAM
BIOS 041 dated 7/29/2011 (latest available)

I'm already using an 8GB USB stick. It's a Kingston DT 101 G2.

I originally tried to upgrade via the web GUI. The system never came back up. I assume it booted with the error 19 but I didn't have a VGA monitor handy in its normal location so I physically moved it to my desk. That's when I noticed the error 19.

I pulled the USB stick, wiped the partition tables using GParted on my Ubuntu desktop and installed the image using Win32DiskImager on my Windows 7 laptop (my family interrupted me halfway through and I finished the process on a different system). I continue to receive error 19.

I've pulled all the SATA disks from the system so the mount error is almost certainly USB related. This is the same stick I ran ESXi and then FreeNAS 8.3 on.

I can fairly easily track down another USB stick but the big question is: why? What changed in the underlying FreeBSD OS that would cause it to not work on previously known good hardware that is properly sized? I'll admit that the 8GB stick is old and on the slow side of the performance scale but that should only mean that I have a wait a few extra seconds every time I boot the server (which is infrequently).

I waited until after the RC process to try to avoid issues like this... *sigh*

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So were you using 8.3.1 and tried to upgrade to 9.1? I'm confused by the way you said that.

brianpmack

Cadet
Clarification: I was running 8.3.1. I tried a GUI upgrade to 9.1. No joy. I tried directly flashing the USB stick with the 9.1 image. No joy. I haven't tried the CD install as the server doesn't have an optical drive.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
9.1 is a completely differnet kernel than 8.x. It is possible that your hardware won't play nice with the FreeBSD 9 kernel. I'm thinking that's not too likely, but it is a possibility. Nobody else has mentioned this with HP N36Ls that I've seen.

brianpmack

Cadet
I tried a different (though smaller) USB stick and it worked. I had an Attache 4GB laying around. The Kingston imaged at around 5MB/sec while the Attache imaged around 10MB/sec.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Weird! At least you resolved the issue.

Richard Wall

Cadet
Any definitive resolution/fix to this? I'm having the same issue. I'm using an i5 processor that's about a year old as of this writing. The odd thing is that installation works perfectly when I install on a 64Gb ssd (Crucial m4), but I get the above mentioned mount error when I try installing on a spinning drive (WD Caviar black 500Gb). I'm installing FreeNAS 9.1 from a CD. I downloaded the .iso on the 5th of August 2013.

Current User

Cadet
hoi forum
i have to say: mee to!
yesterday i made my very first steps with free-bsd and freenas.
my configuration is im my signature.

coldboot works.
reboot or gracefull shutdown and boot will give the exact same error 19!

edit: even to boot from the internal usb3.0 port works from coldboot.
EDIT #2:
news in my case!
by chance i made the following changes:
1st disabled the onboard sata (since i dont use any of those ports)
2nd disabled the lsi-hba boot-option (since i dont want to boot from the HBA)
so now i can coldboot, reboot and shutdown->boot. hope this helps to figure this one out.

LarryG

Dabbler
I had the same problem with a new ASUS Z87I-Deluxe motherboard / Haswell processor. Found that if I went into the ASUS BIOS there's a USB Configuration section in the Advanced Menu and set the option for Intel xHCI Mode to DISABLED the problem disappeared. This option has something to do with enabling the higher speeds associated with USB 3.0 and since I'm not using a USB 3.0 device it doesn't really impact me. Even if using a USB 3.0 stick, it still works but I believe it will only run at USB 2.0 speeds if this is disabled.

skylinegtr

Cadet
I have same problem to use GUI upgrading from 8.3.1 to 9.1.
MSI E350IS-E45 APU
8GB RAM
8GB PNY flash drive

After several restart, somehow lucky to see 8.3.1 back.
I didn't try CD, cuz don't know how to fix it if see error 19 again.

rvnfsdovinde

Cadet
I had the same problem with a new ASUS Z87I-Deluxe motherboard / Haswell processor. Found that if I went into the ASUS BIOS there's a USB Configuration section in the Advanced Menu and set the option for Intel xHCI Mode to DISABLED the problem disappeared..

I tried just this on my new build and it seemed to do the trick. It has withstood several cold and warm reboots in the last couple hours.

Build Specs:

Supermicro MBD-X10SAE-0 BIOS v 1.0
Intel I5-4430 Haswell 3.0 Ghz processor

I have the same issue on 9.1 x64. I have tried booting from the CD and installing to the USB stick, and I have also tried writing the image to the USB stick. Boot hangs in the same spot.

Curiously, right before it hangs, the USB keyboard and mouse flash, then go dead followed by a handful of USB disconnect messages, then the boot failure.

I've tried tweaking a bunch of BIOS settings and setting back to 'safe' defaults. 8.x works fine. 9.x does not.

(Also running on a supermicro board)

-A

Got it!

In the Supermicro BIOS there are settings in the USB area for things like XHCI handoff. XHCI controller, and two others that were similar. I set them all to disabled and it boots.

-A

Same problem here. The bigger issue is that I am unable to disable XHCI on the new board. And everyone will have the same problem as me with the newer Z78 chipsets. Fortunately I was able to install 8.3 for now. So I will wait for the newer version to get the kinks worked out of it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. USB3 controllers sometimes aren't fully compatible with FreeBSD. I think more people are finding out that their boards contain low quality USB3 controllers. :p

You can disable USB3 controllers in FreeNAS with the tunable xhci_load=disable.

Note that I don't know if this makes USB3 stop working completely, makes it work only at UBS2 speeds, or a combination of both depending on your controller. I have had no problems with my built-in USB3 controllers.

No update to shut this off on my board. It's an MSI Z87-G41

Hey Cyberjock, can you put that tunable command in when trying an install? I'll give it a shot.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can't when installing FreeNAS. But you can once its booted. Alternatively if you just don't use the USB3 ports until you've added the tunable its the same as not using USB3. Or at least, it should be.

Right, but the problem is that no matter what USB port is used it results in the same error. I mean I can't install to a HDD either, and no keyboard input since it is USB.

I'm not that really pressed about it right now because 8.3 works fine. I'm sure it will get new drivers at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.