SOLVED Mounting Failed with Error 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazaus

Dabbler
I am having the same issue. Just downloaded tonight 64-bit .iso.

Installation go's fine onto the sandisk cruzer fit 4GB. But once the system boots of it I get the same error as Savell and Reidara.

I have also been running 8.3 on the same hardware for some time with no issue.

HP N40L Microserver 4 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda drives. 8GB Kingston Ecc memory.

Really don't know what else to try I have reinstalled twice. Any thoughts?

Edit: I can't actually get it to boot at all I noticed Savell was able to reboot and it would run. My install will not pass that error message.

Also all ports on this system are USB 2.0. FYI

gpsguy

I'd try an 8Gb flash drive.

The 9.1 doc's say "at least 4Gb" and some 4Gb flash drives might not cut the mustard.

Installation go's fine onto the sandisk cruzer fit 4GB.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi guys,

To me this totally sounds like a half-baked BIOS problem.

Be sure you have the latest, when a new platform rolls out there is usually a flurry of BIOS updates that get released for these types of issues.

-Will

wazaus

Dabbler
I'd try an 8Gb flash drive.

The 9.1 doc's say "at least 4Gb" and some 4Gb flash drives might not cut the mustard.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a couple of 8gb versions laying around, I will give it a shot.

Hi guys,

To me this totally sounds like a half-baked BIOS problem.

Be sure you have the latest, when a new platform rolls out there is usually a flurry of BIOS updates that get released for these types of issues.

-Will

Really? HP are going to release a Bios update for a Beta build of Freenas 9.1? Sorry if I come off rude but I find it highly unlikely.

Will take a look anyway and see if my bios is the latest.

Waz

gpsguy

Waz, let us know if using an 8gb drive works for you. If not I'll do a test install of 9.1 on my N40L.

Sent from my phone

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a couple of 8gb versions laying around, I will give it a shot.

Really? HP are going to release a Bios update for a Beta build of Freenas 9.1? Sorry if I come off rude but I find it highly unlikely.

Will take a look anyway and see if my bios is the latest.

Waz

I was replying to the Haswel guys about the half baked BIOS...new platforms usually take a few BIOS revs to get things sorted.

I've been running both FreeNAS 8 & 9 on an N40L and it's been working great...lots of folks have been, so odds are it's not something to do with the hardware, it's likely something to do with the process.

-Will

wazaus

Dabbler
Waz, let us know if using an 8gb drive works for you. If not I'll do a test install of 9.1 on my N40L.

Sent from my phone

Thanks for the offer my friend but I have just had success with an 8GB Sandisk Fit!

Thank you for the suggestion. ;)

I was replying to the Haswel guys about the half baked BIOS...new platforms usually take a few BIOS revs to get things sorted.

I've been running both FreeNAS 8 & 9 on an N40L and it's been working great...lots of folks have been, so odds are it's not something to do with the hardware, it's likely something to do with the process.

-Will

I see. I apologise :)

Waz.

reidara

Dabbler
I had the same issue with a new 8 GB Sandisk usb

If I completely turn off the power and on again the boot is going fine...
I guess the problem could be some freenas initialization process that takes too long time because of a BIOS process that is buggy... or someting like that...

gpsguy

Have you studied section 2.8.1 of your manual?

Do you have Fast Boot enabled? Is "Next boot after AC power loss" set to "fast boot"?

You might try adjusting some of the settings in this portion of the BIOS to see if you can slow down the system after a restart.

If I completely turn off the power and on again the boot is going fine...

I don't have one of these Haswel mobo's. I'm just trying to help.

wazaus

Dabbler
I noticed that when I try to shutdown the nas its ends up just hanging (I can't remember all the jumbled output from the system) I end up having to do a hard shutdown. Hopefully just a beta bug. Other than that system is running pretty damn well.

reidara

Dabbler
Have you studied section 2.8.1 of your manual?

Do you have Fast Boot enabled? Is "Next boot after AC power loss" set to "fast boot"?

You might try adjusting some of the settings in this portion of the BIOS to see if you can slow down the system after a restart.

I don't have one of these Haswel mobo's. I'm just trying to help.

Fast Boot is disabled .
Have done all the slowdown I can in the settings in BIOS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd try going totally overboard. Disable everything you possibly can. Even stuff you have a use for. If it still won't then at least you know you are going to have to wait for a fix.

skidrash

Dabbler
Here is another datapoint... Same exact problem/error 19. Only I get the error 19 regardless of how it boots. Cold boot/reboot = no boot. I have it installed on a 128gb Samsung SSD (SATA header 1) (just a test install and I didn't have a big enough thumb drive. Final install won't be on SATA). So I installed on the next Samsung SSD, on header 2. Same problem.

System is a Dell with Core2 Quad core, 4gb RAM, various SSD's and HDD's. Boots 8.3.x fine off 2gb thumb drive, but that was the biggest thumb I had.

Here is the interesting part. I put a 100gb HDD in and installed it on that; boots just fine. Now, I did just add the HDD, so it is on a different SATA header (0, where the SSD's are on 1 and 2). I have no reason to believe the SSD's are bad. So I'm almost thinking the error may have something to do with the type of media it is installed on? I have not had time to move the SSD to SATA0 and try, though I'm interested to see. It may be a while before I can, unless you all think the results may be helpful...?

sourced

Cadet
Similar issue here trying to install using FreeNAS-9.1.0-RC1-x86.img with a USB stick. Initially tried a 4GB stick, then tried an 8GB stick with same results after initial boot:

Code:
mountroot: waiting for device /dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a
mounting from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a failed with error 19

Then it spits out loader variables and manual root filesystem specification info.

System is an old IBM IntelliStation M Pro 6230-52U with a 3.4GHz P4 + 2GB ram.

Savell Martin

Contributor
For an update.
I installed FreeNas 9.1 RC1 last night and it worked on first boot.

(I have not rebooted yet)

But just seen RC2 is out so going to install that now and see how I get on.
On first look it seems promising...

eight

Cadet
I am also getting error 19 on booting FreeNAS 9.1.0 RC2 64bit. It happens both when cold booting and rebooting.
I've tried couple of different USB devices and all the different ports without any luck. I copied the FreeNAS image directly on to USB on a different computer.

Don't know if it is related, but I am unable to use the keyboard after booting has started (after the FreeNAS menu that is).

This is a Haswell system:
Intel Core-i7 4770
Asus Z87-EXPERT
32GB G-Skill RipjawsX DDR3-1600 RAM

I am able to boot into FreeNAS 8.3.1, but the NIC is not supported there.

Update:
Plugged in a PS2 keyboard, and that one works after booting has started. If I do ? at the mountroot> prompt to list valid boot devices after the error occurs, I see an empty list.

Update 2:
Installed image onto a small SSD that I had lying around and I'm able to boot from that.

pbrk

Cadet
Hi, i'm new to freenas and had the same problem with 8.3.1 64bit and also with the 9.1 RC2 64bit installing it on a corsair 120GB ssd force GT.
However when i installed the 9.1 RC2 on a 8GB lexar usb3 on a usb2 port everything was running smoothly

Got 112 megabyte/sec transferrates to the freenas - sure am happy with that.

Rig i used for testing freenas (will test on a amd fm2 trinity apu this friday) and make my definite hardware choice for the freenas then.

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
Intel Core i5-3550 (4x3,30GHz) S1155 Ivy Bridge
Atheros LAN (which wasn't found) so i put in a sweex realtek PCIe gigabit card
4x2 GB Corsair vengeance DDR3
Draytek Vigor 2130n router

tac12345

Dabbler
I have the same error.

Intel E5200, 8 gig ram, various hdd. i was running freenass for the last 5 years on it, always on the latest version. until 9.1.0 it always installed fine. there is a problem somewhere.

drewconner

Cadet
I'm having the same problem.

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 (Haswell), SuperMicro X10SL7-F, 32GB RAM. FreeNAS is installed on a 16GB Sandisk USB stick. I originally performed a GUI upgrade to 9.1 and assumed that was the cause of the problem (before searching the forums). I then did a fresh install of 9.1 using dd to the stick and had the same problem even before I restored my settings from backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.