Motherboard / Hardware for a smaller NAS

waterstorm

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions for a good motherboard to buy. I've done a lot of research the last weeks, but I'm still not sure what I should buy. So I wanted to ask for some suggestions.

Background:
I'm currently running an QNAP TS-453A with 16 GB RAM and 4x4TB WD Red. It works fine, but I'd like to upgrade mainly because I need more space, but also because I've grown quite fond of TrueNAS and I'd also like to have more "power" than that Celeron has.
I'm running a few containers on my QNAP (which are currently sometimes very slow) so I'm aiming for TrueNAS Scale.

I've used TrueNAS quite a while at work now. A larger TrueNAS (Enterprise) setup in the compute center and also a smaller self-built TrueNAS (Core) in the office as well. Both work remarkably well and so I'd like to use TrueNAS at home as well.

However, my problem is finding a suitable motherboard, which is also affordable and available in Germany.

Requirements:
I thought a small and power-efficient NAS would be nice. I like that my QNAP is so small and efficient (because it's running all day), it only needs around 30W when active, which is quite nice. So I've been looking at mITX boards and a Fractal Node 304 case. But I could not really find a board which fit my requirements, was available in Germany to actually buy and was still affordable. I found a few nice boards, but those were either not available to buy or cost >1400 Euro (for the board alone).
So I'm also looking at the larger mATX boards with a Fractal Node 802 case, but still I'm not really sure what would be the best option. Most of the embedded Ryzen seem to be available for mITX only (ASROCK) while Supermicro has lots of boards, half of which you cannot buy in Germany at all at the moment.

What I'd like to have:
  • A CPU which can handle data transfer and a few containers, but still not drawing too much power. So I was looking at embedded CPUs such as the Epyc 3xxx, but I'd also go for Intel. If the board was cheap enough I'd certainly consider a "normal" CPU instead of embedded
  • >= 32GB (ECC?) RAM, I know ZFS likes RAM and it also needs to have enough for the containers
  • Dual RJ45 LAN, gbe would probably be enough, but 10 gbe would be nice
  • 8 HDD connectors for mATX / Node 804 or 6 if I'd go for the Node 304. I'd like to try the EXOS SAS HDDs but I'd also go for SATA if SAS is not worth the effort / price
  • >= 1 M.2 for the system drive
  • IPMI Port (nice to have, not mandatory)
  • "Server Grade", so I've been looking at ASROCK Rack and Supermicro
For the motherboard and CPU I'd like to spend a maximum of 600 Euro (maybe 800 Euro if it's really nice hardware, but cheaper is "better" of course).

Motherboards I liked but did not quite fit:
mATX:
Supermicro X11SSH-GTF-1585L: Only 6 SATAs and really expensive with ~1150 EUR
ASRock EPYC3451D4U-2L2T2O8R: Very nice board. Embedded Ryzen and 8 SAS, however the CPU is total overkill and I don't need SFP. Way too expensive (>$1800).
ASRock D1541D4U-2T8R: Quite nice, but not available in Germany and very expensive in online shops outside (>$1400)

mITX:
Supermicro M11SDV-4CT-LN4F: Only has 4 SATAs and does not include 10gbe, costs around 550 EUR
Supermicro X11SDV-4C-TLN2F: Probably the "best fit" I found. However it's SATA and not SAS and shares the NVMe with 4 SATAs via OCuLink, so I'd need some other way to attach an SSD or use and USB stick for the OS. It's around 650 EUR, not cheap but okay.
ASRock EPYC3101D4I-2T: Similar to the Supermicro X11SDV-4C but with AMD. Shares the M2 with a SATA Port. Also around 650 EUR

Maybe there are "workarounds" for these issues I mentioned above. Such as an extra controller for SAS/SATA (which I have never bought before). Or maybe I should simply go for a "normal" board instead of an embedded one. However I do not have much knowledge about power draw / power efficient CPUs. So I'm not sure what would be a good combination of motherboard and CPU if I'd go for a "standard" board with a server CPU in terms of power draw / efficiency. Any advice is very appreciated.

Do you have any recommendations for a motherboard (and CPU if not embedded) which is available and which I can actually buy in Germany for a "good" price?

Thank you very much :)

Last edited:
If you like the form factor and low power, you can install TrueNAS CORE or SCALE on the QNAP TS-453A. Might be lower cost option by simply installing larger drives.

You can either connect a SSD in a USB enclosure or replace the 512 MB Apacer eUSB DOM with a 16 GB eUSB DOM (assuming you can find them) for the TrueNAS installation

waterstorm

Cadet
@elvisimprsntr Thank you for the hint. I've also read about this. However, I'd like to have the new NAS in parallel to easily copy the data and migrate the containers. I'll probably install TrueNAS on the QNAP once I've completed the setup and migration so I can use it as a Backup device (running only every once in a while). At least I will if I find a good motherboard for the new NAS to use ;-)

waterstorm

Cadet
Just for info & closure I went for the ASRock EPYC3101D4I-2T. Expensive (in my eyes) but came closest to what I wanted. I'll go for 4 (and later 5) HDDs + SSD for now and may switch to an external one if I need the 6th SATA slot.

zayler

Cadet
Just for info & closure I went for the ASRock EPYC3101D4I-2T. Expensive (in my eyes) but came closest to what I wanted. I'll go for 4 (and later 5) HDDs + SSD for now and may switch to an external one if I need the 6th SATA slot.
Can you post your full inventory list? Seems like your needs are very close to mine, and i am very new to TrueNAS (1st build, simialrly i have Qnap for backup but it is Only TS-431k) So i was wondering if i can steal your setup, i also live in EU so even better.

Etorix

Wizard
Can you post your full inventory list? Seems like your needs are very close to mine, and i am very new to TrueNAS (1st build, simialrly i have Qnap for backup but it is Only TS-431k) So i was wondering if i can steal your setup, i also live in EU so even better.
For advice, it would be best to post your own requirements and/or opening your own thread.
If you want a small NAS, in particular in the FractalDesign Node 304 case, the best choice is an embedded mini-ITX board with EPYC (as picked by @waterstorm ) or Xeon D (X10SDV series… for which you can find many threads here). These are expensive boards, but with some patience one may find reasonable second-hand offers (that's how I built NAS2 in my signature, with a second-hand X10SDV-6C-TLN4F from eBay).

General advice: These boards expect some airflow on the "passive" CPU heatsink. Slap a quiet fan on it (Noctua NF-A6x25 for the X10SDV) when used in a consumer case.

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP
There are a few good deals on eBay from EU sellers.

waterstorm

Cadet

Certainly. The parts just arrived so I did not assemble (and test) yet. But my final part list is as follows (I made some choices based on the shop so I could buy all the stuff from one shop instead of ordering multiple times. So I'm sure there are better choices, it was just the best I could came up with, that were actually available for shipping)

CaseFractal Design Node 304
MotherboardASRock Mainboard EPYC3101D4I-2T AMD EPYC 3101
PSU450 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 11 Modular 80+ Gold
SSD (for the OS)250GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2
RAM2x 16GB Samsung M393A2K43CB2-CTD DDR4-2666 regECC DIMM CL19
HDDs4x 18TB Seagate Exos X X18 ST18000NM000J
Utils1.00m Delock Kabel OCuLink SFF-8611 > 4 x SATA

The case has 3 pre-installed fans. I'll see how it works out, but I'll probably put on a separate CPU cooler as suggested by @Etorix . I also read that heat can be an issue in a consumer case. But I wanted to see the sizes of all the parts before buying a cooler :). Maybe I'll just put a fan on it for now until I decide (I'll probably go for Noctua, I like the company and the way they handle things)

Hope this helps. If you want to get more suggestions you could open your own thread. If you have any questions about my choices feel free to ask.

Last edited: