Supermicro motherboard for a smaller file server

linus12

Explorer
I have a fairly robust server that I am currently using as a file/Plex/Music server (see Signature).
I am looking to build a smaller file only server with only 6 to 8 drives giving me about 40TB of storage for 2-3 users and very light usage.
The SuperMicro X11SSH-CTF-O I have in my current system seems a bit overkill.
Looking for recommendations on a SuperMicro MB for a smaller system.
(Yes I have read the Hardware Recommendation Guide Rev 2a, but I really didn't see a recommendation for small file server.)

homer27081990

Patron
I guess you want supermicro because of ECC RAM and IPMI? Check out ASRock Rack mobos and some Gigabyte mobos. There is a lot to consider still, depending on your choice of case (backplane or not).

Arwen

MVP
Vendor Tyan also makes server boards, though I know very little about them.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The SuperMicro X11SSH-CTF-O I have in my current system seems a bit overkill.
So go with an X11SSM-F or X11SSH-F (without the CT for SAS and 10 GbE). Or X11SCH-F. Or X12STH-F.

Etorix

Wizard
For a maximum of 6 drives, a X10SDV board in a Fractal Design Node 304 makes a nice small NAS, if you can find one second-hand for a fair price.
Or an A2SDi board (Atom C3000) if you're ready to buy new.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
For a maximum of 6 drives, a X10SDV board in a Fractal Design Node 304 makes a nice small NAS, if you can find one second-hand for a fair price.
Biiiiiig if.

Etorix

Wizard

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
True, but the pricing seems to be universally terrible. Actually, the Chinese sellers seem to have lost their minds and now think that their used stuff is worth more than products straight from retail/distributor channels, so they're in a category all their own.