Advise on 2 hand hardware.

zeusthabomb

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I know this topic is often very much discussed in here, but I would like some advice from the experts on how to make things right for my first build.

I have a simple server hosting my Proxmox, no fancy enterprise grade hardware, just some nice hardware I got my hands on for cheap coin, where I run my labs, gitlab, pfsense and some other tools. I want to assemble a Truenas, first for the fun of it and learning but also to backup my VM's, photos, music and maybe some media for a plexserver and whatever the future might bring.
I have decided to go with ECC ram for the simple fact it's a server that will backup my files and I don't want to run into data corruption cased by corrupted ram.

I was looking into some second hand supermicro motherboards and found this:
Supermicro X8DT3 motherboard + 2x Xeon E5506 CPU + 48 GB ECC RAM for 65€

Sounds like a pretty good deal, what do you think?
  1. Is it overkill?
  2. would does fits my needs?
  3. what should be my concerns regarding second hand hardware
for reference I live in Germany.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Not sure why everyone thinks "fancy enterprise hardware" is Tony Stark hardware. Or even better yet, enterprise hardware is stuff like the ubiquitous HP and Dell desktops and laptops out there, they actually do have features targeted at the enterprise. What you're asking about is really server hardware.

If you're buying on eBay, please do see

Be aware that processors before Sandy Bridge, such as the Nehalem you propose, burn watts better than a space heater, and may cost you more in the long run.

zeusthabomb

Cadet
Not sure why everyone thinks "fancy enterprise hardware" is Tony Stark hardware. Or even better yet, enterprise hardware is stuff like the ubiquitous HP and Dell desktops and laptops out there, they actually do have features targeted at the enterprise. What you're asking about is really server hardware.

If you're buying on eBay, please do see

Be aware that processors before Sandy Bridge, such as the Nehalem you propose, burn watts better than a space heater, and may cost you more in the long run.
Sorry, some forums are a bit judgmental on people having desktop hardware, for example reddit, don't get me wrong. Nothing against it and I would definitely use it if I could afford it.

But this is the kind of advise I was looking for, if it's worse than a space heater I might reconsider. I will have a look at the link provided.
Many thanks !

ChrisRJ

Wizard
@zeusthabomb , IIRC the machine you are looking at has limitations when it comes to virtualization. If the latter is something you want to pursue, I would recommend some more research.

Davvo

MVP
Wise choice going ECC.
In case you missed It.

zeusthabomb

Cadet
Wise choice going ECC.
In case you missed It.
I have indeed looked at the guide, very informative and that's how I started looking into 2nd hand hardware to try and save same coin, but apparently, either I found a gold mine or it's a recipe for disaster.

Guess I will have to research more and just endup buying new hardware and think about the long run or since I don't have that much free time at the moment, just pay for synology even tho that's not fun.