Mini-ITX Server Build

Megaowca

Cadet
Hello everyone,
I am looking to build a mini-itx proxymox server on which I will run at least two VM Machines (a TrueNas Scale VM for data storage, and an ubuntu environment for all of my self-hosting services). After a bit of research I ended up with this setup:

CPU: i3-8300
MOTHERBOARD: X11SCL-iF Supermicro motherboard
STORAGE: 2 * Seagate IRONWOLF CMR 2TB (main storage)
STORAGE: SUPERMICRO SATA DOM 32GB (boot drive)
STORAGE: Wd Red SN700 Nvme 500GB SSD
RAM: 2 * Kingston Server Premier 8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC CL19 Unbuffered DIMM
CHASSIS: Jonson N1 Mini-ITX case
CPU COOLER: NH-L9i Low-profile cooler
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GM, 80 Plus Gold 550

My main concern with this setup is whether or not the CPU is powerful enough to host all of these services and I am also unsure if the integrated GPU is supported on this motherboard. I would appreciate all of your input.

DigitalMinimalist

Contributor
Your only chance to beef up CPU power with this mainboard and ECC support is Intel Xeon E-2100 and Xeon E-2200 Series.

Why do you run Scale, if you just want to use it for data storage? Core should be fine then...
2 Cores & 8GB RAM per VM should be ok, but not really space to run additional VMs.

I probably would consider to run 2x SSD for storage instead of HDD

Davvo

MVP
Iirc in random reads Core is far superior to Scale.
You might also want to consider a Synology or other similar hardware, but I don't see any glaring issues in your list.

Megaowca

Cadet
Your only chance to beef up CPU power with this mainboard and ECC support is Intel Xeon E-2100 and Xeon E-2200 Series.

Why do you run Scale, if you just want to use it for data storage? Core should be fine then...
2 Cores & 8GB RAM per VM should be ok, but not really space to run additional VMs.

I probably would consider to run 2x SSD for storage instead of HDD
I will definitely consider TrueNas Core, would you say it would be easier on the CPU? The problem is the E-2100 & E-2200 series are pretty expensive and I can't find any used listings in my country. I plan to run a NAS from the two HD's and my virtual machines from the nvme would that be a good idea? Thanks for the advice

Megaowca

Cadet
Iirc in random reads Core is far superior to Scale.
You might also want to consider a Synology or other similar hardware, but I don't see any glaring issues in your list.
I will do some more research and probably switch to core then. I don't wanna run Synology pre-builds mainly because I don't want to be limited by Synology's software and I also prefer to have the option to upgrade certain components down the line.

Davvo

MVP
I will do some more research and probably switch to core then. I don't wanna run Synology pre-builds mainly because I don't want to be limited by Synology's software and I also prefer to have the option to upgrade certain components down the line.
Just be aware that ITX is not the best for future expansion since there are quite a few compromises for that small factor.

dAlexis

Dabbler
BTW, ~10 years with case Fractal Design Node 304 - very good! 6 disks , fanless PSU and 15 cm tower cooler, may fit inside. Mini-ITX os course.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Hello everyone,
I am looking to build a mini-itx proxymox server on which I will run at least two VM Machines (a TrueNas Scale VM for data storage, and an ubuntu environment for all of my self-hosting services).
Running TrueNAS virtualized is, if you have critical data on it, a highly advanced use-case. Proxmox is also less stable than ESXi. If those data are important to you, I would recommend against that approach. Please note that initial success, i.e. you get things working, does not mean that everything is ok. ZFS was developed with very specific requirements in terms of direct access to hardware in mind. Deviating from that, increases your risk of data loss when something goes wrong.

There are various people in the forum who have been running TrueNAS Core (or FreeNAS before) on ESXi for years without issues. But it requires considerable knowledge, if you want to be safe. The anecdotal "but it has been running fine here for years" does not change this. It is like wearing a seat belt in the car. Did I never it in more than 30 years of driving? No. Will I therefore stop using it. Hell, no!

Risk means that a problem may or may no materialize. That it did not happen for someone, is great for that person. But that doesn't mean the potential issue does not exist. And the probability increases with things like leaving the recommended, i.e. thoroughly tested, path. Likewise, increasing complexity (which virtualization does to a considerable extent) increases risk.

After a bit of research I ended up with this setup:

CPU: i3-8300
MOTHERBOARD: X11SCL-iF Supermicro motherboard
STORAGE: 2 * Seagate IRONWOLF CMR 2TB (main storage)
Only 2 TB of storage? Is that your current requirement or the projected demand from 3 -5 years into the future? The latter is what I would aim for.

Mor importantly though, you need to pass through an HBA (no RAID or SATA card) into your TrueNAS VM. Please read the virtualization and "don''t use RAID" resources from the recmommended readings in my signature.
STORAGE: SUPERMICRO SATA DOM 32GB (boot drive)
That would be fine for TrueNAS, no idea what Proxmox needs.
STORAGE: Wd Red SN700 Nvme 500GB SSD
With today's prices I would not go below 1 TB here.
RAM: 2 * Kingston Server Premier 8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC CL19 Unbuffered DIMM
That is extremely tight and you can expect performance (perhaps even stability) issues. I would not go below 32 GB today,
CHASSIS: Jonson N1 Mini-ITX case
Did you by any chance decide to go for TrueNAS because of the LTT video with that case?
My main concern with this setup is whether or not the CPU is powerful enough to host all of these services and I am also unsure if the integrated GPU is supported on this motherboard. I would appreciate all of your input.
That all depends on your workload. Do you plan to store office documents and a few photos, it is probably ok, depending on what you expect. Doing video editing directly on the NAS will not be so pleasant on the other hand.

What is your workload and what speed do you expect? How many people will use the NAS?

Please also check the forum rules, which explain how to get better answers.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I am looking to build a mini-itx proxymox server on which I will run at least two VM Machines (a TrueNas Scale VM for data storage, and an ubuntu environment for all of my self-hosting services). After a bit of research I ended up with this setup:
I'm going to repeat what @ChrisRJ has said...

ESXi is a mature Type 1 Hypervisor and many of us (including me) have been using ESXi for a very long time. Proxmox is also a Type 1 Hypervisor but there have been issues for some people to run TrueNAS on it. Search the forums and you will see it. I'm not a guru at ESXi but I learned what I need to do just because I wanted ESXi (which is free). TrueNAS Scale has a Type 2 Hypervisor built in. Also Scale is really not ready for business use, not mature enough in my opinion, Core is however.

Your RAM is way too low to run a Hypervisor, yo should have at a minimum 32GB and preferable 64GB.

It's important to really plan out what you want to do and the requirements of each piece of software you desire to run. Then you can plan the hardware out.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You are also going to need an HBA to pass through for your TrueNAS data drives, ZFS needs direct access to the drives for data integrity. I'm no expert on virtualization but I do know you can't split the onboard controller and only pass a couple of the SATA ports through for the TrueNAS and that motherboard only has 4 SATA ports total.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm no expert on virtualization but I do know you can't split the onboard controller and only pass a couple of the SATA ports through for the TrueNAS and that motherboard only has 4 SATA ports total.
Well, you can with ESXi in most situations but it's frowned upon. It's called RDM and you can pass through individual drives. I have done it for a few years due to necessity but I'm back to passing through the entire controller now since I made a hardware change. Like I said, frowned upon but possible.