Launch of New Forums!

Koop

Explorer
As it so happens, we also do Discord as well ;)

Yep yep! I'm actually on there already! I prefer posting on a forum though personally as I'd like to pay forward documenting my experiences so others can search and hopefully find helpful information. Discord I would feel is more of a in-the-moment chatting platform- though I have found searches via discord aren't so bad.

I guess I'm just getting old. See you on the IRC channel.

dAlexis

Dabbler
Hm, migrating data in forums is not the easiest job indeed, but! IMHO better 2 transfer at least actual themes, such as Scale threads.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Discourse supports migration from many other platforms, including XenForo--why not migrate the data there? It seems pointless to have two forums up at the same time.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Kris, any word on this, though?

When it goes into "read-only" mode, is there a way we can contact an admin or iX staff to create a zipped archive or something of our posts / threads? To try to do this manually by saving HTML pages is... not feasible.

The sentimental value alone is why this would be much appreciated.

At the moment we don't have any Xenforo tool to do a full download / zip of your threads, just the methods mentioned in the other thread here.

On the plus side we plan to keep this instance up forever in R/O mode, so its not like anything is going to get removed or suddenly go away.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Discourse supports migration from many other platforms, including XenForo--why not migrate the data there? It seems pointless to have two forums up at the same time.

We investigated this, even ran through full scenarios of migrating all the old content. It was horribly messy and ended up making the forums look and feel like Xenforo again (not a good thing), as well as messing up URLs for any content linked to the old Forums directly.

Apollo

Wizard
Give it a refresh now and see if that looks better.
It does look better.
However, we are also loosing the User name, User experience level/category and as in your case, Moderator with the relationship to iXsytems.
This give less details which I find pertinent and less visibility.

Not really a deal breaker, but the "Knowledge Exam Badge 1" and new ones to come will most likely find a spot in the avatar preview either.

dak180

Patron

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
It does look better.
However, we are also loosing the User name, User experience level/category and as in your case, Moderator with the relationship to iXsytems.
This give less details which I find pertinent and less visibility.

Not really a deal breaker, but the "Knowledge Exam Badge 1" and new ones to come will most likely find a spot in the avatar preview either.

Enabled badges for iX employees. Moderators will have to turn their "Flair" badges on in their profiles for them to show up, but they do work.

Apollo

Wizard
I just read a newly created post and noticed the blue background fading to white in a matter of seconds, making it less focus centric and more inefficient to read through.
Is there a complaint line where we can start queue into? or simply forum settings that needs tweaking?

Arwen

MVP
So, if this is not a joke, what about Resources?

Some of us spent many hours creating some, and that makes answering questions occasionally easier.

Apollo

Wizard
Resources section is created, Mods and up can move any items to this category to maintain as a persistent resource.
Will try it out.
On a side note, are the User name reserved on the new forum? What would prevent someone from highjacking a name from the old forum, that person being someone else?

Davvo

MVP
Honestly not a fan of the new system for the forum, looks confusing to me. But hey, big changes in iX these months... maybe I'm too adverse to them.

victort

Guru
Honestly not a fan of the new system for the forum, looks confusing to me. But hey, big changes in iX these months... maybe I'm too adverse to them.
I’ll have to agree. But perhaps it will be an improvement, who knows?

Davvo

MVP
I’ll have to agree. But perhaps it will be an improvement, who knows?
I mean, I profoundly hate FrameWork's forums structure and this looks awfully similar.

victort

Guru
Will try it out.
On a side note, are the User name reserved on the new forum? What would prevent someone from highjacking a name from the old forum, that person being someone else?
No. I’m creating all new accounts with all the well-known names. 1000 bucks and I’ll sell them to you.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Uhhhggg! I absolutely LOATHE discourse. First the death of TrueNAS core and now this.

Well, it looks like it's been a good run while it lasted for me. It's been fun everyone, I'll see you on the flip side.

Arwen

MVP
Some of us only read certain topics. For example, I skip the VM and App sub-forums. I never use read all new posts, as that would take too much time.

Plus, for threads that I am not following, the title / subject has to capture my attention. If worded poorly, I will probably skip a thread. Especially if others have responded, (which I can see the count in Xenfro).

Do I have to say the most probably reason for the change?
Money. Xenfro costs money, and Discourse is both open source & free.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
What is the reason for the switch?