Hi folks,

Newbie here. Trying to install on the following:

Motherboard make and model:
ASRock Z97X Killer BIOS ver. P2.60
CPU make and model:
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz
RAM quantity:
4 x 8Gb DDR3-1333
Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives
I'm just installing to a boot drive for now (is this a problem?)
1x Samsung SSD 845DC EVO 24GB
Hard disk controllers:
SATA controller in AHCI mode
Network cards:
PCIE x1 Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s
- Qualcomm® Atheros® Killer™ E2200 Series

I'm doing this on older equipment for cost savings. I think the tower was built around 2015.
I have had to troubleshoot, change BIOS settings, etc to get to the point where it currently stops (please see attached pic)
It didn't like the original mouse. Then it seemed upset about the system drive. It was previously installed with Win7. I deleted all but the system file partition, which was only a few MBs comparatively. That seemed to get me further in the process. The error code it now stops on is different now.
Everything seems to be going well until it hits the Panic mode and stops. Maybe there is still something that it doesn't like about that SSD? I'm getting another inexpensive one to be safe. I'm also waiting on a couple of storage HDDs as well.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

• trueNAS_error02.jpg
    trueNAS_error02.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 437

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Please disable ALL overclocks in your BIOS. Also don't use any XMP memory profiles, just standard JEDEC timings. Your Atheros gaming NIC is also not supported, and won't work.

Bonzo

Cadet
Please disable ALL overclocks in your BIOS. Also don't use any XMP memory profiles, just standard JEDEC timings. Your Atheros gaming NIC is also not supported, and won't work.

Hi Samuel and thanks for your help.
I loaded the MB factory defaults. I had updated the BIOS to the latest ver already. I disabled the onboard LAN and installed an Intel PCIe NIC. I also installed a new, 240 GB Kingston SSD for the system drive. I'm using a DVD iso for the installation media. And I've installed a single (for the moment) 2 TB Seagate Iron Wolf HDD for storage. I also enabled Verbose in the install options. I got the attached errors.

Attachments

• trueNAS_error03.jpg
    trueNAS_error03.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 410
  • trueNAS_error04.jpg
    trueNAS_error04.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 413

Bonzo

Cadet
Well I figured it out after running memtest. Was getting tons of errors. Replaced the memory and installation completed perfectly.
Thanks!!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Well I figured it out after running memtest. Was getting tons of errors. Replaced the memory and installation completed perfectly.
Thanks!!

Good job figuring out your RAM went bad.