This is driving me nuts [KDB: enter: panic]

AvalonUser

Dabbler
I just started building my new NAS and everything has been working great except for FreeNAS. I tried installing it with different USB sticks, CDs and even just installing the 9.2 img directly onto a USB stick but every time FreeNAS gets stuck with the KDB: enter: panic error. What can I do to resolve this?

System specs:
Supermicro A1SAM-2750F
Two 8Gb sticks of unbuffered ECC RAM from Kingston
SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
That's a fairly serious panic.

Are you absolutely certain that the RAM you have in there is the correct type?

AvalonUser

Dabbler
That's a fairly serious panic.

Are you absolutely certain that the RAM you have in there is the correct type?

It seems to be. The packaging says it's ECC RAM. Is there anything else I can do to verify this?

Should I run Memtest or another utility to verify?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Hmmm...

Sir, ECC RAM comes in a variety of flavors, and timings. For example, some ECC RAM is unbuffered, some is registered. etc.

Can you give us the part/SKU number for the memory that's in there, and we will see what we will see?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Sure. Like I said there's two sticks on the board at the moment.

BTW, thanks for the help!
I'm going to ask something really stupid here, so bear with me.

The memory part you quoted is a full-sized DIMM. The motherboard you quoted accepts SO-DIMM, not DIMM. I'm looking right at the picture of both the motherboard, which clearly has SO-DIMM slots, and the memory you linked me to, which appears to be full size DIMMs.

??

AvalonUser

Dabbler
Oh dear I got a digit wrong. I have the A1SAM-2750F, not the A1SAi-2750F.

Sorry about that.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
OK, well the specs on that RAM look like they're supposed to be correct for that. But: that RAM is not listed on SuperMicro's qualified list, nor does Kingston list that any of their RAM is recommended for this SuperMicro model. Additionally, there are many places in the forum where we specifically state that Kingston's 8GB ECC DIMMs are suspect, and we do not recommend any 8GB Kingston DIMMs.

So, I guess, if I were you, I would:
  • Verify that the RAM is seated properly, and that, since you've populated only two slots, that you've read the manual and populated THE TWO SLOTS THEY RECOMMEND (very important--the two slots you're supposed to use are often counterintuitive and not what you would normally pick using logical assumptions).
  • Make sure there isn't a BIOS setting, for example, RAM timings or voltages, which is incorrect
  • If none of that, and Google-fu does not work, then I would recommend returning those DIMMs, and getting RAM that this community trusts, namely, Crucial, or Samsung, or Hynix.

AvalonUser

Dabbler
OK, well the specs on that RAM look like they're supposed to be correct for that. But: that RAM is not listed on SuperMicro's qualified list, nor does Kingston list that any of their RAM is recommended for this SuperMicro model. Additionally, there are many places in the forum where we specifically state that Kingston's 8GB ECC DIMMs are suspect, and we do not recommend any 8GB Kingston DIMMs.

So, I guess, if I were you, I would:
  • Verify that the RAM is seated properly, and that, since you've populated only two slots, that you've read the manual and populated THE TWO SLOTS THEY RECOMMEND (very important--the two slots you're supposed to use are often counterintuitive and not what you would normally pick using logical assumptions).
  • Make sure there isn't a BIOS setting, for example, RAM timings or voltages, which is incorrect
  • If none of that, and Google-fu does not work, then I would recommend returning those DIMMs, and getting RAM that this community trusts, namely, Crucial, or Samsung, or Hynix.
Alright, I'll do some troubleshooting. Worst comes to worst, what are the usually recommended models/series from the recommended manufacturer (if that matters at all)?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
By the way: Does that board have standard screw locations or is it a completely proprietary format?

Alright, I'll do some troubleshooting. Worst comes to worst, what are the usually recommended models/series from the recommended manufacturer (if that matters at all)?
It's typically best to stick to the QVL, at least to simplify possible future tech support conversations.

rogerh

Guru
By the way: Does that board have standard screw locations or is it a completely proprietary format?

Fitted a standard Antec case with no missed boards holes or misplaced standoffs. Can't remember if I had to move any to alternative locations.
Edit: but I certainly did not need to drill any rivets out or drill new holes.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Fitted a standard Antec case with no missed boards holes or misplaced standoffs. Can't remember if I had to move any to alternative locations.
Edit: but I certainly did not need to drill any rivets out or drill new holes.
Thanks for the info!

AvalonUser

Dabbler
It's typically best to stick to the QVL, at least to simplify possible future tech support conversations.

That's what I usually do but the tested memory list is pretty lacklustre. If I'm looking at the wrong list then I would appreciate a link to the right list for future purchases.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

AvalonUser

Dabbler
Thanks. Anyway, I've returned the two Kingston sticks; are the Crucial sticks a safe choice for new sticks?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks. Anyway, I've returned the two Kingston sticks; are the Crucial sticks a safe choice for new sticks?
It's hard to say. They're generally compatible. I don't think there's been any board model that had trouble with those.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Yeah, we have no recorded instance of anyone using those Crucial DIMMS and running into any problems with quality or compatibility.