This is driving me nuts [KDB: enter: panic]

AvalonUser

Dabbler
It's only going to get worse now that PS2 connectors are becoming such a rarity.
Wait.

Let me get this straight, just so we have it in plain English on the forums.

You attempted to install our FreeBSD-based appliance, FreeNAS, on one of our recommended SuperMicro models, and you had perfectly normal devices, like keyboards, and stuff, plugged in. You received the dreaded

Kernel: KDB: enter

panic message. You have determined that the operating systems boots, 100% of the time, when your USB keyboard is not plugged in, and does not boot, 100% of the time, when it *is* plugged in. Therefore, the presence of the USB keyboard is the problem with the early boot sequence.

This is the statement you are making?
Precisely.

I'll do some experimentation once my files are done transferring over onto my new NAS (should take a day or two) and report back with my findings.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
It's only going to get worse now that PS2 connectors are becoming such a rarity.

Precisely.

I'll do some experimentation once my files are done transferring over onto my new NAS (should take a day or two) and report back with my findings.
I just want to say a few things.

First of all: I'm sorry you had this problem, and that we did not immediately get back with a correct answer. I know exactly what it's like to get a bunch of new equipment, to be chomping at the bit to get it all set up and going, and then to discover that something stupid and fairly undiagnosable is preventing you from doing so. Guys that should know what's going on treat you like you might be a bit crazy, etc. I just want you to know that I know exactly what it's like to experience frustration on something like that. I'm glad we got through it, and that you're now on your way. I hope you found our input to be useful in any case, at least establishing clearly that we were very interested and responsive in trying to get you going.

Second of all: Kudos to you for diagnosing the cause of the problem correctly, especially as it was something that we didn't really suggest.

Third: Thanks @Ericloewe for responding to the distress beacon on this one. It looks like you were immediately starting to bark up the right tree, and we would have eventually gotten this sorted out.

Fourth: At least a dozen of us on the forum have learned something from this now. This is the kind of experience that really adds to our tool bag when we're going to help another user.
Next time a mysterious kernel panic comes down the hill, many of us will now know to rule out the presence of a USB device, counterintuitive as that may have seemed.

Fifth: You had some of your time wasted replacing the Kingston DIMMS with the Crucial ones. However, that wasn't a complete waste--most of us would have recommended that you do that in any case. However, it seems clear that your system would have worked, correctly, with the Kingston DIMMS. Let the record show that the Kingston DIMMS were not the problem.

Sixth: If you do come back with further experimentation and information on exactly what was happening here, we will be certain that the information finds itself in the hands of people that care about these things for their consideration.

Seventh: I, myself, get the occasional warning about my USB keyboard and/or mouse mysteriously dropping out for a few seconds, then coming back on line. At least 1-3 times per day. I've been ignoring it, but, it could be related. You might just have a more severe version of this, which doesn't sit well at boot time.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm left wondering if the USB 3.0 issues are actually a longstanding USB bug that kinda slips under the radar with most USB 2.0 devices.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Edit: I've figured it out, the USB keyboard I had plugged in was causing the system to crash. I can't believe this whole thing was resolved with something so simple.

What's the model of keyboard? Does it have fancy LEDs, fancy function keys or something?

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
I wish AvalonUser would have done more testing and got back with the results of his findings. I'm about to do a build and was heavily considering the Supermicro A1SAM-2750F. It would have been nice to know if it were a Mobo problem, as the page I saw, does not list FreeBSD as a supported OS, at least not FreeBSD 10.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I wish AvalonUser would have done more testing and got back with the results of his findings. I'm about to do a build and was heavily considering the Supermicro A1SAM-2750F. It would have been nice to know if it were a Mobo problem, as the page I saw, does not list FreeBSD as a supported OS, at least not FreeBSD 10.
Pretty sure SuperMicro doesn't make any mobos that they wouldn't use with FreeBSD.

Probably half their business is FreeBSD. :) And probably half of that is FreeNAS people.

AvalonUser

Dabbler

Oh God, I completely forgot to report back to this thread. Sorry about that. Anyway, I got the server up and running and it's been wonderful so far. I looked at the problematic keyboard and concluded the thing didn't use a generic keyboard driver so the system would panic on start up. The problem didn't occur with other plug and play keyboards I was able to get my hands on so I don't think the problem had anything to do with the FreeBSD USB stack. As for the motherboard it has been reliable so far and hasn't caused a single issue.

Again, sorry about the long wait. A million other things got in the way and I got sidetracked.

Hello! I know this is a very old thread, but i found it via google.
I was having the same error message on FreeNAS 11.2-U4.1.
But the culprit wasn't the keyboard, it was another USB Device (a Icy Box -Raid Sonic- NVME to USB M2 Case).
I can confirm when its plugged in, the installer will die with error "KDB: enter: panic error.".
After unplugging this USB Device, it worked like a charm. I tried this 2 times with same results.
I wanted to write this here, if someone find this old thread like i did.
I recommend disconnecting USB Devices to test if its working after that!